• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!

knuf's Content

There have been 4 items by knuf (Search limited from 01-June 19)

Sort by                Order  

#166487 Poster Authorship

Posted by knuf on 31 March 2014 - 08:52 AM in Scientific Presentation

Thanks for your input. I decided to make a representative cartoon graphic to help me explain what I want to say without having to reproduce his figure.

#166457 Poster Authorship

Posted by knuf on 30 March 2014 - 01:00 PM in Scientific Presentation

For a local symposium, I am making a poster. This work stems from a lab mate's work, which showed an in vivo effect of treatment and has been published. My work is looking at the mechanism of this effect. I would like to show the figure from the in vivo paper in my background section to help explain the why of my work. Should this other person be included as an author for my poster, or is simply referencing his paper sufficient? Or should I not include this image, since technically it's not my work? Opinions please!

#161600 Super easy calculation that I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong

Posted by knuf on 23 October 2013 - 01:37 PM in -Biochemistry-

Of course...yes...density is not concentration. Thank you for your help.

#161590 Super easy calculation that I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong

Posted by knuf on 23 October 2013 - 12:06 PM in -Biochemistry-

Ok, so a very inquisitive tech asked me a question about a liquid calculation and while I know the right answer, I can't seem to figure out what's wrong with her calculation.

Here is the way I always calculate it. We need 1 L 0.5 N HCl from 12 N (37%) HCl. 

ml= (0.5 N)*(1L)  = 41.67 ml + water up to 1 L

12N

Easy right? Ok, so here is the way she looked at it instead using the density of 37% HCl, which is 1.17 g/ml. She did this because the density is written on the bottle, but not the normality.

ml = (1 L)*(0.5 mol/1L)*(36.46 g/1 mol)*(1 ml/1.17 g) = 15.58 ml + water up to 1 L

I've realized that if I invert the density such that it is 1.17 ml/g then it gives me essentially the right answer, but I can't figure out why I would do that. Help me so that I can stop thinking about this stupid equation and get back to wasting time some other way!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.