• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!

uaue's Content

There have been 17 items by uaue (Search limited from 23-August 18)

Sort by                Order  

#7777 urgemy

Posted by uaue on 12 October 2004 - 04:20 AM in Chit Chat

hi everyone,

my mice have high levels of alkaline phosphatase. apparently (i just knew now) that there are different types of alkaline phosphatase depending on which tissue secretes it. as far as i know the most common are BALP(Bone), LALP(liver),PALP(placenta) and CALP(corticoid-induced)....and that high serum levels could mean different disease. does anyone know the protocol either by electrophoresis or differential inhibition methods for the differentiation of the isoenzymes? this is really important and urgent so i would appreciate all the help i can get.thanks a million!!

#7776 determination of ALP isoenzymes

Posted by uaue on 12 October 2004 - 04:18 AM in Protein and Proteomics

hi everyone,

my mice have high levels of alkaline phosphatase. apparently (i just knew now) that there are different types of alkaline phosphatase depending on which tissue secretes it. as far as i know the most common are BALP(Bone), LALP(liver),PALP(placenta) and CALP(corticoid-induced)....and that high serum levels could mean different disease. does anyone know the protocol either by electrophoresis or differential inhibition methods for the differentiation of the isoenzymes? this is really important and urgent so i would appreciate all the help i can get.thanks a million!!!
:)

#7528 How to cut cost in a molecular biolog lab?

Posted by uaue on 29 September 2004 - 08:48 AM in Build and Run a Lab

we pack our tips as well. for my part it relaxes me. at times when i need to disconnect and just not think i pack them all( even for the lab mates). itīs funny that by the end of september almost all the labs here have no more funds (thatīs the time when the grants expire/renewed) and we have to wait for october to be loaded again. what we do is for the meantime borrow reagents from other lab (although oftentimes itīs comes out free because we forget about it) but it does help you stay afloat for a while.
i agree with mario2004 that donīt follow everything what they say. things could still work out fine without being so meticulous.

#7527 Microarrays

Posted by uaue on 29 September 2004 - 08:34 AM in Chit Chat

yep itīs quite expensive. it has itīs advantages though like you can impress everybody with the sophisticated analysis and of course the colors (well the really important ones are green for down-regulated and red for up-regulated).but mind you it can be frustrating as well specially when you have 90,000 genes to look at! and the clustering...pufff i donīt want to talk about it.but if you have the funds go for it!and good luck

#7526 housekeeping genes

Posted by uaue on 29 September 2004 - 08:25 AM in Chit Chat

hi everyone,

i just want to know what they exactly mean by housekeeping genes. if a gene is labelled a "housekeeping gene" is it essential for the survival of the cell? thanks!

#7036 bile duct proliferation

Posted by uaue on 09 September 2004 - 12:50 AM in Chit Chat

can anyone tell me what exactly happens when there is bile duct proliferation? does it obstruct the bile flow ? what happens after there is bile duct proliferation?

#6950 lymphocytes in FACS

Posted by uaue on 03 September 2004 - 09:51 AM in Immunology

hi everyone,

this may sound stupid but i would like to know exactly what size( i mean forward scatter FSC) are the lymphocytes from spleen of mice. i have been using the FACS machine to analyze the type of population in my samples and i know where to select the gate because you immediately see a big population. since i know that i have extracted from spleen then it makes sense that i only have one group. until recently i never thought about this but do you always find the lymphocytes on the same FSC height. what FSC height is it?

thanks in advance.

#6662 competition in biology

Posted by uaue on 19 August 2004 - 08:38 AM in Chit Chat

indeed money makes the world or science go round. it is a pity but that is the hard truth. iīm optimistic though that this cliche will be set aside when a call for universal collaboration is raised. espero que es asi. :o

#5656 protein mistargetting

Posted by uaue on 20 May 2004 - 05:20 AM in Protein and Proteomics

hi everyone,

i would like to see if there is protein mistargeting( in this case a mitochondrial protein mistargetted into the cell membrane) any ideas how should i do this aside from doing an immunohistochemistry.

#5655 protein mistargeting

Posted by uaue on 20 May 2004 - 05:19 AM in Molecular Biology

hi everyone,

i would like to see if there is protein mistargeting( in this case a mitochondrial protein mistargetted into the cell membrane) any ideas how should i do this aside from doing an immunohistochemistry.

#5168 endogenous peroxidase

Posted by uaue on 17 March 2004 - 12:18 AM in Immunology

hi everyone,

can anyone please tell how much percent of hydrogen peroxide and how long you need to block the endogenous peroxidase in frozen-acetone fixed tissue in this case spleen. thanks

#5090 why are most species symmetrical externally

Posted by uaue on 26 February 2004 - 06:02 AM in Chit Chat

i suppose for balance and locomotion. also most species are vertebrates thus i donīt really see the point why we have our bone structure and be assymmetrical. is it intelligent design or evolution? i think both.

#5051 competition in biology

Posted by uaue on 18 February 2004 - 10:27 AM in Chit Chat

"Competition has almost made conferences obsolete"
Thomas Maniatis
Harvard University

i have read an article in nature about the competion to discover something and publish it in order to be acknowledge in the scientific world. its is true (and i agree) that mutual suspicion is drying up the free exchange of ideas which is really sad. the question that remains to be answered ( by ourselves of course) is are we doomed to work alone?

#5050 LPS

Posted by uaue on 18 February 2004 - 10:09 AM in Immunology

hi everyone,

i would like to know if you can measure the measure the levels of LPS in the blood during colitis or inflammation.

more power to you all!

january

#4920 Amplification Problem

Posted by uaue on 20 January 2004 - 08:12 AM in Molecular Biology

why donīt you try "hotstart" protocol and see if itīs more specific or you can try Taq Gold from Promega (itīs quite good this enzyme). Good luck but donīt give up. thatīs what weīre all here for!!!!

#4907 Why a man's heart can pulsate for all his life.

Posted by uaue on 16 January 2004 - 07:19 AM in Chit Chat

does it really!? i didnīt know about that.

#4902 PCR

Posted by uaue on 15 January 2004 - 08:41 AM in Molecular Biology

iīm trying to amplify a 2kb and 548bp band from gDNA of mice but never got to see the big band. i donīt understand what happened! iīve tried different conditions even to the point of putting 2 minutes for the extension but nothing happened.can anyone explain to me what had just occured?

thanks.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.