• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!

Pronana's Content

There have been 4 items by Pronana (Search limited from 19-November 18)

Sort by                Order  

#94616 Serum concentration in treatment of cells for MTT assay

Posted by Pronana on 11 December 2010 - 08:31 PM in MTT, Proliferation and Cytotoxicity Assay

Hello everyone,

I will be evaluating the anti-cancer activity of several crude extracts on breast cancer cells using the MTT assay. My question is, should the serum content of the media be reduced when i treat the wells with my extract? I have come across lab members who reduce the serum content of their wells during treatment while others keep it at 10% supplemented media. Any feedback would be most welcomed :)

My proposed protocol is as follows:
Day 1
Seed cells at 6000 cells /well suspended in 10% supplemented media in 69 well plates.

Day 2
add extracts at concentrations of 0, 15, 25, 50, 75, 100 microgram/ml
* Should serum free media be used here? or maintain at 10% supplemented media?

incubate for 72 hours.

Day 4.
add MTT, incubate for 4 hours, dissolve formazan with DMSO and read plate at 570nm.

#99253 TLC Visualizing Stains

Posted by Pronana on 01 February 2011 - 07:06 AM in Chemistry

Hi all,

I am new to natural product studies and i am currently trying to isolate active compounds from a leaf extract. I would like to know if there are any TLC visualizing stains that can be recommended to visualize what compound classes (alkaloids, terpenes, flavonods...etc) that might be present in my crude extract. I have heard about using Vanilin stain however, i wasn't able to find out what compound classes it detects or what color or visualizing spots it produces. Any advice is vvery much appreciated? Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Veronica

#116369 Neutral Red Cytotoxicity Assay Trobleshooting

Posted by Pronana on 30 July 2011 - 08:02 PM in Cell Biology

Hi All,

I am currently doing a NR cytotoxicity assay and I have encountered very low dye uptake even for my control cells. Evaluation under the microscope shows that the cells are still attached to the wells and the dye is seen in only some of the cells, however it is very light in color.

The protocol I used is as such:

1)Seeding of cells at 100000 cells/well in 96 well plates followed by treatment for 48 hours
2)A day prior to the assay, NR stock solution (40mg/ml) is used to prepare the NR media at 1:100 dilution with serum free media and left in the incubator overnight
3) On the day of the assay, the NR media is centrifuged and syringe filtered to remove percipitates.
4) Plate wells were emptied and the filtered NR media replaced. Plates were incubated for 3 hours
5) NR media removed and wells were filled with NR resob solution to solubilize the dye.
5) Absorbance read at 540nm

At the end of the assay, the maximum absorbance I got for the untreated control was aprox 0.2 and all 6 extracts i tested gave the exact same trend, even the positive controls.

I think that somehow there is a limiting factor that limits the availability of the NR for cellular uptake and i cant seem to find out what's the problem. I have tried reducing the dilution when preparing the NR media to 1:80 and incubation time to 4 hours but it didn't make any difference.Also, I did try fixing the cells with 1% formaldehyde in PBS buffer before extracting the dye but to no avail. Could the filtering be a problem? If it is, how else am I suppose to remove the precipitate as centrifuging alone does not totally pellet it?

I would be very grateful if someone could advice me.

Thank you in advance.

#116370 Best method to filter a chloroform solution?

Posted by Pronana on 30 July 2011 - 08:07 PM in Chemistry

Would sintered glass filters help?

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.