DMSO or Ethanol - which is relatively less toxic to cells - (Jul/23/2005 )
I want to treat neuroblastoma cells with retinoic acid, based on the sigma product information sheet, retinoic acid can be dissolved in both DMSO or 95% ethanol. I am wondering which solution is relatively less toxic to cells?? thx.
I would think 95% ethanol is less toxic than DMSO. We use 100% ethanol and don't see toxicity. But wait for more replies for a consensus.
definitely ETOH is safer...However, DMSO is supposedly absorbed better..If you are using DMSo remeber to have a DMSO control. If I have to use DMSO then I restrict my dosing volume to 0.1% of the final volume.
DMSO is so toxic, although DMSO is used to freeze the cells at 10%? I'm confused now, sometimes I saw DMSO is less toxic than ethanol. Is this difference depend on the purpose?
I do not know which is less toxic but agree with one of the respondent that a DMSO control will be necessary as this has been the practice of our laboratory. I guess it may have to do with its toxicity.
I work with Neuroblastoma Cells SH-SY5Y Cells, and we treat our cells with RA and DMSO. We have 3 cultures. 1 is treated with RA and DMSO, 1 is treated only with DMSO and 1 as control is cultured in RPMI + 10% FCS. All cultures grow well, but the RPMI cells are more confluent then the others. I dont know if this is a proliferation effect, because of RA or toxicity of DMSO. Thats a point I am testing this days