0.2-1% DMSO - (Oct/15/2008 )
At 0.2-1% concentration, is the effect of DMSO on cells negligible? I need to treat them with inhibitors, but I don't know if I should make 100X or 500X stock solution. I can also dissolve in ethanol, but I think DMSO is the preferred solvent.
The quick sloppy answer: most cells can tolerate those concentrations of DMSO, but some undifferentiated cells are triggered to differentiate by very low concentrations.
The slow and better answer: perhaps you should try putting a little DMSO on your cells and monitoring them vs. control cells over a few days.
The correct answer is that all cells will be affected by concentrations of DMSO above 0.1%. I have used cell based assays in drug discovery for 25 years. Chemists will produce many lead compounds that are insoluble in aqueous solution. That's why we have to use DMSO, Ethanol, Methanol and other solvents. Solubilise and then dilute down the compound into less tha 0.1% solvent. If the compound comes out then there is nothing you can do. If you try more concentrated solutions then always run a control with solvent alone. This may take out the cytotoxic effect on the cell by the solvent. However, in my experience there is nearly always a synergistic effect between the solvent and drug....which cannot be quantified.
Hope this is useful
we do something like that, and if I'm not mistaken the final concentration of DMSO in our medium solution should be less than 0.5%
You should always, as said Rhombus, have a DMSO alone control. This will ensure that the effect you see is drug-dependant, and not DMSO-dependant.