How to find the promoter sequence of this gene - (May/23/2006 )
Yes that's what I said, theortically promoters lie immediately upstream transcription start site.
Hmm, so PCRman, is it fair to say that in most methylation studies the promotor region is not truely known? Instead we're targeting an entire region which is about 1kbp upstream from the ATG start codon. Is this right?
depends on how you define a promoter, there are about 75% of genes that contain a 5' cpg island and they are CG rich and contain a high number of transcription factor binding sites.....of which not every binding site is known. What about the remaining 25%? The CpG island associated with the 5' end is more likely than not, a part of the promoter of the gene.
this makes it more complex...
Thanks for the info, Nick!