Protocol Online logo
Top : New Forum Archives (2009-): : Reading and Organizing Literature

How to keep articles organized - sorting papers (Aug/12/2009 )

Pages: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

Could not have written my thesis without zotero! Was a life saver.

-jajell-

Hi to you all

I use evernote, it allows you to store all your articles, notes lab results, and all I need to access them is internet.

Before that I used to use Papers from Mac.

-Radish-

i was using zotero until i came with the problem that i couldn't synchronize my library on different computers (as it is in my lab). if you're using only one computer, and i should also remark, and you do your writing on only one operating system (this is for the people who dual boot, since referencing has problems if you're swapping between openoffice / msoffice) then zotero is great.

fortunately my university provides us with endnote web, so i don't worry about that anymore. i know zotero 2.0 can manage synchronization but i haven't tried that, and probably won't. when products are still on beta testing it means it all can be ruined if you click on the wrong moment.

-toejam-

We take a different approach allowing you both to manage your papers and keep them in context to the project. BioKM (www.biodata.com) is not a reference manager per se but we get good feedback from our users, It would be interesting to learn how well BioKMô plays into your workflow with the previous mentioned ref managers.

Read more about how BioKM helps you manage your reference papers here.

-susie-

I do think Zotero is the superior software but then you can only use it in Firefox right?

I am using one of the latest versions of EndNote and it allows you to do Pubmed searches WITHIN the software, and drag your results straight into your customised folders. Since I still prefer reading papers from hard copies, I print out the papers and alphabetically sort them according to topics.

-PandaCreamPuff-

PandaCreamPuff on Apr 16 2010, 09:14 AM said:

I do think Zotero is the superior software but then you can only use it in Firefox right?

I am using one of the latest versions of EndNote and it allows you to do Pubmed searches WITHIN the software, and drag your results straight into your customised folders. Since I still prefer reading papers from hard copies, I print out the papers and alphabetically sort them according to topics.

Yes, it only works in Firefox.

This is a little drawback as I use Opera as my browser, usualy I find what I'm looking for and then copy the address to Firefox. But you would need to have opened another program anyway, I need real browser for more advanced tasks than only searching in Pubmed.

-Trof-

We found Mendeley to be a great tool to organize our published articles at our company. Not only does it allow us to organize them in house, it allows us to organize them for customers who may want to search our products in the context of published articles. Basically, we now have an online collection of all articles published that cite our products. This is useful to potential customers who like to see how a product was used by other scientists and in what application.

View public collection here.

The best way to view this collection is to download the free mendeley desktop application and subscribe. This way you can sort and search the collection. I believe it won't let you do this using their online platform.

Overall Mendeley is just a cool app...check it out

-researcher4life-

If you have a Mac do not hesitate: use Papers it is wonderfull!!!! Visit their Website

-baienoix-

baienoix on Thu May 6 23:35:51 2010 said:


If you have a Mac do not hesitate: use Papers it is wonderfull!!!! Visit their Website


Wow that looks really amazing. That website has made my otherwise uneventful day B)

-PandaCreamPuff-

PandaCreamPuff on Wed Aug 11 16:10:19 2010 said:


baienoix on Thu May 6 23:35:51 2010 said:


If you have a Mac do not hesitate: use Papers it is wonderfull!!!! Visit their Website


Wow that looks really amazing. That website has made my otherwise uneventful day B)

This software make me thinking to buy Mac! but for many other software I'm reticent!

-Biog-
Pages: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next