How to build a new molecular biology lab - (Sep/08/2012 )
This is an old topic posted on 9/10/2004 by kindmike.
we are building a new molecular biology lab, mainly focus on gene expression, localize the expression of genes and Immunohistochemistry. Could somebody give us some suggestion on when building such kind of lab, what kind of chemical regular solution, kits and instruments do we need. For budget purposes, If someone can provide detail prices and names, it will be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Molecular Biology - gene expression
(1) nucleic acid purification kits - Qiagen, Epoch Biolabs (among best quality with Epoch the most cost-effective)
(2) PCR/cloning - real time quantitative RT-PCR (Taqman/lifecycler- Roche);cloning/expression vector - Invitrogen (best quality and cost-effective)
(3) protein expression - His-tag/Ni-column - Qiagen, Invitrogen
(4) In situ hybridization - anti-DIG - Roche
(5) Immunocytochemistry/immunofluoresencce/Western - antibodies - BD Bioscience, Labvision, Biolegend
(6) cell culture - media - Invitrogen/GIBCO (best quality and cost-effective)
(7) cell transfection - GenCarrier-1 - Epoch Biolabs (best quality and cost-effective)
(8) cytokines/growth factors - R&D Systems, PeproTech, Epoch Biolabs (among the best quality)
(9) microarray chip - premade or custom chip - Affimetrix or common facility of major University
For budget purposes you can get at least some ideas from company websites, such as Promega, Roche, Invitrogen, Qiagen, etc. Otherwise Biocompare.com is not too bad, though some prices are not up to date, but it gives you a range of manufacturers for what you need
This LINK will help you a lot!
sometimes you can pick up used stuff at labtrader.com; it is sort of like an ebay thing for labstuff
I know a few people who have bought things there and had good luck
I just set up our labs molecular biology section from the ground up. What is it you wish to do in your lab. Perhaps I can help you decide what you need.
You can first meet your neighbouring lab, get details of all the vendors and dealers. Be sure to get -20 and freezers first. Just go around in a lab and make list of all small equipments you will be requiring. If it takes longer to get orders delivered order Restriction enzymes and antibodies early.