Protocol Online logo
Top : New Forum Archives (2009-): : Cell Biology

matrigel - self-cast OR purchased transfell plates? (May/31/2010 )

i am not that familiar with cell migration assessment, but i am interested to perform studies of migratory behavior using matrigel.

there are 2 different products, which can be purchased:

1. using a ready-to-use product with matrigel coated transwells, OR

2. Dilute Matrigel (5mg/ml to 1 mg/ml) in serum free-cold cell culture media (RPMI1640, EMEM, DMEM, etc). Put 100Ál of the diluted matrigel into upper chamber of 24-well transwell

Will i get consistent results with the self-cast matrigel??

thx in advance

-moljul-

moljul on May 31 2010, 09:52 AM said:

i am not that familiar with cell migration assessment, but i am interested to perform studies of migratory behavior using matrigel.

there are 2 different products, which can be purchased:

1. using a ready-to-use product with matrigel coated transwells, OR

2. Dilute Matrigel (5mg/ml to 1 mg/ml) in serum free-cold cell culture media (RPMI1640, EMEM, DMEM, etc). Put 100Ál of the diluted matrigel into upper chamber of 24-well transwell

Will i get consistent results with the self-cast matrigel??

thx in advance


you will get consistent results with self-cast matrigel plates if coating was carefully done however matrigel is vigorous and difficult to handle; multiple performance of tests will result in statistical
smoothing

-Inmost sun-

though tidius and tricky, you will be able to design your own concentration and thickness of matrigel surface using self-cast method. Depending on the types of cells, types of Matrigel, chemoattractant, inducing agents, growth conditions, inhibitory agents, time of exposure.... we have been using various concentrations (0.2--1 mg/ml) and Matrigel volumes (25-100 ul for thin or thick layer coating).

so its easy to use commercially available coated transwell plate, but may not be suitable for all types of experiments.

Good luck!
Thapa

-Thapa-

Thapa on Jun 10 2010, 06:55 AM said:

though tidius and tricky, you will be able to design your own concentration and thickness of matrigel surface using self-cast method. Depending on the types of cells, types of Matrigel, chemoattractant, inducing agents, growth conditions, inhibitory agents, time of exposure.... we have been using various concentrations (0.2--1 mg/ml) and Matrigel volumes (25-100 ul for thin or thick layer coating).

so its easy to use commercially available coated transwell plate, but may not be suitable for all types of experiments.

Good luck!
Thapa


thx thapa,
i found one publication - they used pre-cast matrigel transwell plates;
first i thought, it will be cheaper to coat my own ones. but if it is really that tricky, i will not really save lots of money??? i think!

-moljul-

Inmost sun on Jun 5 2010, 01:13 PM said:

moljul on May 31 2010, 09:52 AM said:

i am not that familiar with cell migration assessment, but i am interested to perform studies of migratory behavior using matrigel.

there are 2 different products, which can be purchased:

1. using a ready-to-use product with matrigel coated transwells, OR

2. Dilute Matrigel (5mg/ml to 1 mg/ml) in serum free-cold cell culture media (RPMI1640, EMEM, DMEM, etc). Put 100Ál of the diluted matrigel into upper chamber of 24-well transwell

Will i get consistent results with the self-cast matrigel??

thx in advance


you will get consistent results with self-cast matrigel plates if coating was carefully done however matrigel is vigorous and difficult to handle; multiple performance of tests will result in statistical
smoothing

I also think so !

______________
Dedicated .NET Developers

-star102-