Protocol Online logo
Top : New Forum Archives (2009-): : Protein Expression and Purification

How to normalize my samples before I transfect my cells - (May/02/2010 )

Hi,

I was told that before I perform my transfections that I should be normalizing my plasmid DNA samples to 1ug/ul. I don't know how to do this. I did my purifications of my plasmids using QIAGEN maxi preps and I found out the concentrations of each sample using a nanodrop but now I don't know how to get each of my samples to be 1ug/ul? How does one go about normalizing samples?

Thanks.

-new2science-

either dilute or concentrate? ...how about that?

or can you give us a more detailed description on your problem.

Regards,
p

-pDNA-

pDNA on May 2 2010, 12:23 PM said:

either dilute or concentrate? ...how about that?

or can you give us a more detailed description on your problem.

Regards,
p


Some of my samples are really low. For instance:

sample 1: 4.96 ng/ul

sample 2: 57.14 ng/ul

sample 3: 540.44 ng/ul

sample 4: 144.58 ng/ul

How would I concentrate this?

-new2science-

evaporate the solvent?

...normally you do this by using a vaccuum concentrator.

for maxipreps it is really poor yield ...what is your volume of your sample?

best regards,
p

-pDNA-

pDNA on May 2 2010, 02:27 PM said:

evaporate the solvent?

...normally you do this by using a vaccuum concentrator.

for maxipreps it is really poor yield ...what is your volume of your sample?

best regards,
p


I resuspended the pellet in 50 ul of sterile double distilled water (I did this because the pellet I got was very small). Even with the mini preps I was getting such low yields, so that is why I swithced to maxipreps. Do you think there is something wrong with my plasmid?

-new2science-

since you provided no information on your plasmid its hard to say if there is something wrong!

Is it a low or a high copy plasmid?

For a high copy number plasmid your yields are very low!

Maybe there is something wrong with your plasmid or with your protocol ...have you checked your plasmids on an agarose gel? I would not expect plasmid DNA from 1 liter broth at a concentration of 4 ng/Ál ...this is for sure genomic DNA or some other impurity.

Regards,
p

-pDNA-

pDNA on May 3 2010, 12:06 AM said:

since you provided no information on your plasmid its hard to say if there is something wrong!

Is it a low or a high copy plasmid?

For a high copy number plasmid your yields are very low!

Maybe there is something wrong with your plasmid or with your protocol ...have you checked your plasmids on an agarose gel? I would not expect plasmid DNA from 1 liter broth at a concentration of 4 ng/Ál ...this is for sure genomic DNA or some other impurity.

Regards,
p


Hi, I plan on running some 1% agarose gels today. I was told it was a high copy plasmid...I will double check that information today. Thank you for your help.

-new2science-