• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Cell Fixation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bompu888

bompu888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:29 AM

Hi,

I am going to do an immunofluorescence experiment. I went over my protocol and it says that I have to do methanol fixation. I would like to know why I have to do serial ethanol rehydration steps (100 -> 95 -> 75 -> 50) after fixing cells with methanol? is there any other way to rehydrate cells? I will appreciate help.

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,676 posts
Excellent

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:53 PM

You need to rehydrate as the methanol shrink the cells through dehydration. If you want to avoid this use s different fixative such as paraformaldehyde.

#3 minylim

minylim

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:53 PM

I agree... and I heard paraformaldehyde or formaldehyde works much better than methanol...

#4 fluffybunny

fluffybunny

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:24 AM

Hi bompu,

rehydration is for reintroducing liquid back into the cells (viable) so that ur epitopes of whatever protein you're detecting can be bound by antibodies. During fixation, all water are taken out completely from your cells. Serial rehydration is the only way i suppose. I do ethanol rehydration (100 -> 90 -> 85 -> 80) then wash my cells with PBS.

why do u fix cells in methanol? is it the most suitable fixing agent for immunofluorescense?

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.