• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Electroelution with no electroeluter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PhD

PhD

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:01 AM

Its me again, gees it seems to be Bioforum day with me.

Im looking into trying electroelution to get rid of one high MW contaminate I have in my eluted fractions but cannot affort an electroeluter.

How can I set it up just used my dialysis membrane? I run my gel in mini protean tetra cell from Biorad?

Neone have a detailed protocol for this kind of thing? I would really appreciate it!!

#2 swanny

swanny

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:22 PM

Its me again, gees it seems to be Bioforum day with me.

Im looking into trying electroelution to get rid of one high MW contaminate I have in my eluted fractions but cannot affort an electroeluter.

How can I set it up just used my dialysis membrane? I run my gel in mini protean tetra cell from Biorad?

Neone have a detailed protocol for this kind of thing? I would really appreciate it!!

What's the rest of your protocol, please?
Heart disease kills more women than breast cancer, but heart attack symptoms differ from men's symptoms. Get to know your heart... it could save your life.

#3 tfitzwater

tfitzwater

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:01 AM

Electroelutions were originally performed in an agarose gel box. Clamp the bottom of a piece of dialysis tubing and fill to the brim with buffer. Drop in the gel slice and squeeze out most of the buffer. Avoid air bubbles that result from eliminating too much buffer. Clamp the open end of the dialysis tubing and lay the slice down on the gel box. Add buffer to cover slightly. Measure the distance between the electrodews and run at 2 volts/cm. If the gel slice was prestained, you can monitor the elution of the DNA/RNA out of the slice. Before harvesting, reverse the polarity for 30 seconds to back the DNA/RNA off the membrane.

#4 PhD

PhD

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:35 AM

Ola!

thanks for the replies I actually had no protocol since I asked around in lab if neone new how to do it and I was discouraged from doing it. It doesnt seem complicated at all! The only thing that i wonder is how much electrophoresis buffer to put in the bag so protein is not too diluted? what would be the minimum amount for a slice of gel in approx 8cm bag?

I will give it a shot!

have a great day!! :(

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.