• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Tris Base Buffer is the same that Trizma??No I think..

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 autophagator

autophagator

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:49 AM

HiĦĦ
This is a old debate, but until now I dont know the rigth answer.
In my western blots, the bands appear diffuse.I think that I have troubles with the preparation of my buffers solutions. The "Molecular Cloning Manual" ( Maniatis et al) says that "Is essential that the buffers for preparation of resolving and stacking gel be prepared with Tris base and NOT with Tris.CL o Trizma, because the salt concentration will be too high..."
So, I have a trouble with the difference between both Tris base and Trizma..Everybody in my lab says that there isnt differences between both buffers...

Does someone know the right answer?
Could this to solve the problem of the diffuse bands?

Thanks in advance...

#2 almost a doctor

almost a doctor

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Good

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:21 AM

HiĦĦ
This is a old debate, but until now I dont know the rigth answer.
In my western blots, the bands appear diffuse.I think that I have troubles with the preparation of my buffers solutions. The "Molecular Cloning Manual" ( Maniatis et al) says that "Is essential that the buffers for preparation of resolving and stacking gel be prepared with Tris base and NOT with Tris.CL o Trizma, because the salt concentration will be too high..."
So, I have a trouble with the difference between both Tris base and Trizma..Everybody in my lab says that there isnt differences between both buffers...

Does someone know the right answer?
Could this to solve the problem of the diffuse bands?

Thanks in advance...

The way I understand it Trizma is just the name (actual Trade Mark) that Sigma uses for Tris (tris(hydroxymethyl)aminomethane). Maybe the problem is on your pH, make sure is adjusted to what you need.

Also, I dont know how you prepare your buffers, but a guy I used to work with mixed xM Tris-base and xM Tris-HCl until he got the right pH. I personally have never done it that way, but it might be worth trying.

#3 Gerard

Gerard

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 124 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:50 AM

Tris base = Trizma but not tris.cl

Look into this and follow the thread.
http://www.bio.net/b...une/029230.html
Ockham's razor
Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate
-- "You must assume no plural without necessity".

#4 miBunny

miBunny

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 130 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:20 PM

Trizma is Sigma's trademarked name for Tris. There's Trizma HCl (Tris HCl) and Trizma Base (Tris base).

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.