• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Amino acid substitution a problem?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fishdoc

fishdoc

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:20 PM

Are there any obvious reasons a mutation of DNA resulting in a Phe > Leu substitution would raise a flag? Both are non-polar, neutral amino acids. Is there anything in their biochemistry that would immediately tell you that a protein would fold or act differently?

The reason I'm asking is because I have a complementation plasmid, and the gene carried has a point mutation in it. It makes a UAC into a UAA.

I'm likely to go ahead and remake it, but was curious, considering some of the properties of the two bases are similar.

#2 swanny

swanny

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 367 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:13 PM

Are there any obvious reasons a mutation of DNA resulting in a Phe > Leu substitution would raise a flag? Both are non-polar, neutral amino acids. Is there anything in their biochemistry that would immediately tell you that a protein would fold or act differently?

The reason I'm asking is because I have a complementation plasmid, and the gene carried has a point mutation in it. It makes a UAC into a UAA.

I'm likely to go ahead and remake it, but was curious, considering some of the properties of the two bases are similar.

You're right to say the two are similar. Having said that, however, you are going from an aromatic residue to a non-aromatic. As long as the residue isn't somewhere critical, there is no prior reason to say there would be a problem. Is that non-committal enough? ;)
Heart disease kills more women than breast cancer, but heart attack symptoms differ from men's symptoms. Get to know your heart... it could save your life.

#3 perneseblue

perneseblue

Unlimited ligation works!

• Global Moderators
  • 578 posts
Good

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:15 PM

if you are curious, you could do your biochemical assay on both the mutant and normal form of the protein.

There is the size of the side group to consider aside from change from aromatic to non aromatic side groups. Uncertain to say if will be an effect.
May your PCR products be long, your protocols short and your boss on holiday

#4 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 2,507 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:42 PM

I would do an alignment of homologous proteins in ClustalW and see if the Phe residue was conserved. If it were, then I would remake it. This is the best way of determining if an amino acid is in a critical site. This is not a guarantee of functionality, but it is likely a near requirement for functionality.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.