• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

light bands, dark smear, dark dimers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TaniaShakoori

TaniaShakoori

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:24 AM

after getting normal pcr product till about 2 months ago, when i started my work again. the PCR started showing light bands, dark smear a little away from the bands and prominent dimers. the PCR kit was new. conditions were the same as before. i guess it could be the quality of the dna but with 'bad' dna i shouldn't get any bands right? ideas? should i optimize conditions again?

#2 cellcounter

cellcounter

Control Panel

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:32 AM

after getting normal pcr product till about 2 months ago, when i started my work again. the PCR started showing light bands, dark smear a little away from the bands and prominent dimers. the PCR kit was new. conditions were the same as before. i guess it could be the quality of the dna but with 'bad' dna i shouldn't get any bands right? ideas? should i optimize conditions again?

Rather than resetting the optimized PCR conditions, I would..

(1) Check it on old DNA template
(2) Check it on a fresh DNA template
(3) Check whether the primers had been stored right during this period. Otherwise order new.
(4) Use all fresh reagents for PCR.
(5) Make sure that the cycler works well with other PCRs.

If these don't work, then only I would change the PCR conditions such as temp, time and MgCl2 etc.

#3 TaniaShakoori

TaniaShakoori

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:10 PM

Rather than resetting the optimized PCR conditions, I would..

(1) Check it on old DNA template
(2) Check it on a fresh DNA template
(3) Check whether the primers had been stored right during this period. Otherwise order new.
(4) Use all fresh reagents for PCR.
(5) Make sure that the cycler works well with other PCRs.

If these don't work, then only I would change the PCR conditions such as temp, time and MgCl2 etc.

thanx i'll try that

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.