• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

How to keep articles organized

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

#16 Trof

Trof

Brain on a stick

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 May 2010 - 03:43 AM

I do think Zotero is the superior software but then you can only use it in Firefox right?

I am using one of the latest versions of EndNote and it allows you to do Pubmed searches WITHIN the software, and drag your results straight into your customised folders. Since I still prefer reading papers from hard copies, I print out the papers and alphabetically sort them according to topics.

Yes, it only works in Firefox.

This is a little drawback as I use Opera as my browser, usualy I find what I'm looking for and then copy the address to Firefox. But you would need to have opened another program anyway, I need real browser for more advanced tasks than only searching in Pubmed.

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon

#17 researcher4life

researcher4life

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:20 PM

We found Mendeley to be a great tool to organize our published articles at our company. Not only does it allow us to organize them in house, it allows us to organize them for customers who may want to search our products in the context of published articles. Basically, we now have an online collection of all articles published that cite our products. This is useful to potential customers who like to see how a product was used by other scientists and in what application.

View public collection here.

The best way to view this collection is to download the free mendeley desktop application and subscribe. This way you can sort and search the collection. I believe it won't let you do this using their online platform.

Overall Mendeley is just a cool app...check it out

Edited by researcher4life, 06 May 2010 - 01:25 PM.

#18 bguyonnet

bguyonnet

bguyonnet

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:35 PM

If you have a Mac do not hesitate: use Papers it is wonderfull!!!! Visit their Website

#19 PandaCreamPuff

PandaCreamPuff

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:10 AM

If you have a Mac do not hesitate: use Papers it is wonderfull!!!! Visit their Website

Wow that looks really amazing. That website has made my otherwise uneventful day B)

#20 Biog

Biog

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:44 AM

Wow that looks really amazing. That website has made my otherwise uneventful day B)

This software make me thinking to buy Mac! but for many other software I'm reticent!
One question asked, knowledge expanded!

#21 DNAgeek

DNAgeek

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:31 PM

I don't know if you want to write and cite an article or just keep your PDF files organized. For organization I use iPapers (click), which is for free (but unfortunately only for Mac). But a lot easier than Endnote...
Cheers,
Minna

Thanks, I hate the new version of EndNote, I was looking for something like iPapers for a while.
By the way, I name my PDFs Author-year-key words and file them into thematic folders. They are easy to find in that system or by "Find" on my computer. I also make short notes of the papers I read, something like what you would write if you had to summarize the paper in a couple of sentences, under a theme they belong to.

#22 Mullet

Mullet

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:52 AM

Another vote for Mendely - awesome for managing papers, annotating pdfs etc, reminds me of iTunes in simplicity. There is a plug-in for Firefox. Another bonus is that its Mac and PC compatible.. and free!

#23 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,531 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:17 AM

Two questions for the Mendeley users, the major drawbacks I found so far, and want to be clarified before I really use it:

1. Species names are usually in italics (e.g. Cossus cossus or Arabidopsis thaliana). If I get the metadata from the pdfs or data from databases to include them to my database, all italics are gone and I cannot even re-italicise them...is there a way to keep them or to format the titles?

2. Database entries have a link to the document. If you put the file in another folder, the link is dead. For one or two files no problem, but for the whole database if you e.g. move to a new computer? Is there a way to keep the link?

Thanks for any help...
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#24 Mullet

Mullet

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:22 AM

yeah, at the moment the italics thing is an issue I have too...although iīm not writing just yet, hopefully it is fixed before publishing time!
It is on the forum "to do/wish list", so sometime soon....
Should point out that Mendeley is still in Beta

Still love the programme though..

Re the database issue: havenīt tried changing computers, but i think the idea is that you donīt move files out of the database, but rather have one or two folders, and let Mendeley do the organising (like iTunes). But what you could do is have one watched folder (eg "All articles"), and organise your folders within that. I actually use a DropBox folder for storing pdfs (organised into sub-folders) to share between computers, works well. You can have several watched folders too..

#25 labfile

labfile

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:45 AM

Here is a free way to keep your PDFs organized

#26 aditi

aditi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:49 AM

i was using zotero until i came with the problem that i couldn't synchronize my library on different computers (as it is in my lab). if you're using only one computer, and i should also remark, and you do your writing on only one operating system (this is for the people who dual boot, since referencing has problems if you're swapping between openoffice / msoffice) then zotero is great.

fortunately my university provides us with endnote web, so i don't worry about that anymore. i know zotero 2.0 can manage synchronization but i haven't tried that, and probably won't. when products are still on beta testing it means it all can be ruined if you click on the wrong moment.

Try mendeley .its the best

#27 Wolverena

Wolverena

Spirit

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:09 PM

I LOVE the program papers for Mac. I have been using it for a couple years now and able to organize my pdfs, and, most importantly, find them when I need them. The only little drawback is that one cannot use it for citing. However, you can export the papers as references and import them into EndNote.

Cheers,
V
"You can give somebody a book on 'How to ride bike' and then test that person on that knowledge. Even if that person gets an "A", it doesn't mean that he or she can ride a bike."
---this is what I am telling myself when I get a bad grade....as long as you don't loose your passion, you'll be fine.....V

#28 sikander

sikander

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:05 PM

hi all,

Last week, i downloaded mendeley desktop and using this. its good and freely available.

you can try this also. If find any problem, can write to me.

good luck

#29 pDNA

pDNA

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 493 posts
Good

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:29 AM

http://www.readcube.com/

does search your computer for all pdfs and then makes a bibliography of all scientific pdfs that can be searched easily (also shows all the publications that do cite the ones that you have on your computer).

Very usefull if you are a kind of a messy :)

Regards,
p

#30 akhshik

akhshik

Nice day for research

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:46 PM

thank you it is kind of useful when you have tones of PDF and you dont know exactly where to find them!!! Posted Image

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.