• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Suitable bacterial reporter vectors

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mnqcljsm

mnqcljsm

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:45 AM

Dear all,

This may be more of a molecular biology question...

I want to use a reporter plasmid to look for activation of a particular gene promoter in E. coli. I plan to clone the promoter sequence for the GOI into a plasmid upstream of a reporter gene (either GFP or beta-gal i havent decided yet).

Please could anyone recommend suitable plasmids for doing this. pUC18 for example could be suitable for a beta-gal reporter but Im not sure of a suitable GFP containing vector that i could use.

What will be the impact of plasmid copy number? - i assume that high copy number would give me a stronger signal upon activation of the promoter?

All the best,

mnq

#2 macroman

macroman

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:20 AM

Please see the following attachment.

Hope this helps

Attached Files

#3 mnqcljsm

mnqcljsm

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:06 AM

many thanks!

#4 pDNA

pDNA

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
Good

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:06 AM

I think using the pGFPmut3.1 promoter should be suitable ...delete the lac promoter and replace it with your promoter of choice!

If you are going to screen for promoter-activity on agar-plates the higher the copy number the better because you will be able to find high-level expression clones by eye (even without UVlight).

Regards,
p

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.