• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Agarose gel with EtBr exposed to light over night.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Volga

Volga

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:27 AM

Hello,
I perpared Agarose gel preapred with EtBr (1ul/ml). And I forgot to over it with foil. So it has been exposed to light approximatly 7 to 8 hours while it is in 1X TAE .I am wondering does the acativity of EtBr will go or I can use it still?

Thanks
Volga

#2 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:50 AM

Hello,
I perpared Agarose gel preapred with EtBr (1ul/ml). And I forgot to over it with foil. So it has been exposed to light approximatly 7 to 8 hours while it is in 1X TAE .I am wondering does the acativity of EtBr will go or I can use it still?

Thanks
Volga

Just try out what you see on the UV-transiluminator. And you can stain or better restain the gel in EtBr solution if the fluorescence is gone.
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#3 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,242 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:57 PM

Unless it has been exposed to a lot of UV the gel should be fine. Your biggest problem will be the diffusion of bands after sitting static for so long.

#4 Volga

Volga

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:15 PM

I have DNA run on gel previous day.
I checked the gel under UV transilluminator , still I can see the DNA glowing . So I thought gel is still normal. And used it for further experiments.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.