• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

colony PCR

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 novagen

novagen

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:17 AM

Hi all,
My colony PCR gel shows required amplicon along with some high mol.wt bands. what could those be.
thanX
Service to man is service to God

#2 cellcounter

cellcounter

Control Panel

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:34 AM

Hi all,
My colony PCR gel shows required amplicon along with some high mol.wt bands. what could those be.
thanX

Possibly bacterial genomic DNA that you used as the template.

#3 novagen

novagen

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:40 PM

Hi
you mean to say bacterial genomic DNA has some homology to my Primers.
Thanx
Service to man is service to God

#4 Qundo12

Qundo12

E. coli farmer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:17 PM

Hi
you mean to say bacterial genomic DNA has some homology to my Primers.
Thanx

If you run your PCR under loose condition (low annealing temperature), there are chances for your primers to bind to genomic DNA region, even close (to some extent) in sequence to your target. As my experience, sometimes they even overweighted my target T_T (in this case, my primer design was not good)

#5 Arqwen

Arqwen

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 August 2009 - 02:11 AM

It's probably just your vector and or genomic DNA - not necessarily amplified, just present on the gel!! You see this with mini-prepped samples too, usually 2 bands (supercoiled and non-coiled plasmid) and sometimes a blur of gDNA at the top!!

#6 Ms new scientist

Ms new scientist

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:55 PM

Hi there

I have the same problem too! When i perform colony pcr, i get many bands......of higher molecular wt than my expected band. Do u think it is contamination due to too many cycles? or could it be the condition of pcr itself?

#7 Qundo12

Qundo12

E. coli farmer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:01 PM

Hi there

I have the same problem too! When i perform colony pcr, i get many bands......of higher molecular wt than my expected band. Do u think it is contamination due to too many cycles? or could it be the condition of pcr itself?

It's the normal situation. You can increase the annealing temperature more 3-5 degree to obtain more specific products. Also, 25 cycles is enough. Hope this helps ^^

#8 swanny

swanny

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 367 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:48 PM

Sample preparation can also help clean up the gel. I pick my cells into ~150 ul TE and disperse the cells, then I use 1ul in the PCR reaction. I have found much cleaner amplification and better consistency.
Heart disease kills more women than breast cancer, but heart attack symptoms differ from men's symptoms. Get to know your heart... it could save your life.

#9 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:22 PM

Hi there

I used to have same experience with you. After I diluted my colony template (10x), the extreme high mw band disappeared.
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.