• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

RNA extration from plant

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ram

ram

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:41 AM

I am extracting total RNA from mango fruits using the extraction buffer having the composition of 100mM Tris-Cl (pH 8.2), 1.5M NaCl, 30mM EDTA (pH 8), 2% CTAB. Previously (before 2 yrs) according to the same standardized protocol, we used to get very good yield (ca 400 ug per gram of tissue) but now I am getting yield like 3 ug/g tissue. I went back and checked the pH of stock solutions and found pH 8.1 (instead of 8.2) for tris, 7.6 (instead of 8) for EDTA and 5 (instead of 5.4) for sodium acetate (used during final precipitation along with isopropanol). The first precipitation is with 3M final concentration of lithium chloride. Can the lowered yield be because of different pH than desired?
If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some then not ask and stay stupid.

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,826 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:13 PM

The pH is quite important, if you have the wrong pH you can skew your extraction towards DNA rather than RNA.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.