• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
* * * * * 7 votes

Words, Words, Words

44380 replies to this topic

#39976 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

slow

good night darling, the beach bum who's disturbed by some remains on the beaches Posted Image
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#39977 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,097 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:03 PM

low

The funny thing in Germany is that when you ask for directions they don't want to answer in English although everybody can speak English perfectly. Why are they like that hobglobin? Also almost none of the street names and signs are in English. I remember I wanted to go to Analitika Trade Show by metro and the ticket machine was all in German, I was like what the hell,... even the woman behind the counter didn't want to reply in English, and when I asked her why she said because you are in Germany...then an American soldier heard me talking to that woman and he bought me a ticket from the machine....lots of American soldiers live there. There are quite a lot in Giessen. I feel sorry for them too :)

#39978 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,033 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

blow

but have you been to France, Curtis? They're much better over there....it's the only place in the world where the Info centre personnel speak only french and they expect you (the tourist) to speak it too....(plus the taxi drivers make fun of the way we speak our french) :wacko:...:P
"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#39979 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,097 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:08 PM

job

never knew you were from Quebec...it's late night in there, go to bed :P

#39980 hobglobin

hobglobin

• Global Moderators
  • 5,465 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:50 AM

jobless

hi people...and well Curtis, I wonder with whom you spoke then...the average German won't have a high command of language and only the younger people (esp. students) are better because they often lived for some time abroad. For me and many students I met it's the same, speaking English you don't really learn at school, but later in the job if necessary or never really (many of the non academics)....but of course information staff should be willing to speak it. And street names and signs are as in almost all European countries mostly in the native language, only in bigger cities with fairs and much tourism (like Frankfurt, Munich) it's different. In my home town now even the announcements in the metro are in English when there's a trade fair. And Gießen is a special case...it's a small town without tourism and perhaps they don't really like the US soldiers Posted Image ....but now there are not many left anymore (after all the pull-outs in the 90s). When I studied there (many years ago) they had their own town quarters with even streets with English names, their own shops and all the other infrastructure was made as if they are at home in the US. So there wasn't much contact to the local population. Anyway now only very few are left, when the AAFES depots (when I was there perfect for student's jobs Posted Image ) were closed and also many barracks are gone and used for other purposes now.
(and as addendum, yes first I thought you confuse Germany with France Posted Image )

Edited by hobglobin, 19 August 2012 - 03:06 AM.

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#39981 Doki

Doki

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:03 AM

homeless
Simple living, highnot thinking

#39982 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,033 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

shelter

hey guys...hi Curtis, BB-san...hi dr H...at least Monday is over...:P

#39983 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,097 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

roof

I've been to Germany many times before, the last time I was there was back in 2006, just before the world cup. I lived in Zurich, Switzerland for 3 years, so I understand German a little bit.

Hi Cassandra, Monday is not over yet! :D

#39984 swanny

swanny

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 367 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

spoof

Hi all, been going crazy here for a coupe of weeks. And tomorrow I'm up for jury duty. Yay me!
Heart disease kills more women than breast cancer, but heart attack symptoms differ from men's symptoms. Get to know your heart... it could save your life.

#39985 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,033 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

SNL

hey swanny.. hope it won't take long.....
and Curtis, I was so busy yesterday that I thought it's already Tuesday today...:lol:...

#39986 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,097 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

Prime Time

Any update on the body part case in Toronto? Every time I hear such news I tell myself why they let Homolka out.

#39987 swanny

swanny

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 367 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:04 PM

Time after time
Heart disease kills more women than breast cancer, but heart attack symptoms differ from men's symptoms. Get to know your heart... it could save your life.

#39988 hobglobin

hobglobin

• Global Moderators
  • 5,465 posts
Excellent

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:46 AM

time machine

it's so hot here Posted Image

#39989 Doki

Doki

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

washing machine

Moan-day is almost over. Waiting for Tuesday and then Wednesday and then Thursday and then Friday and it will be Saturday!!! Looks so close.
Simple living, highnot thinking

#39990 hobglobin

hobglobin

• Global Moderators
  • 5,465 posts
Excellent

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:41 AM

green washing

I'd say still so far away

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.