• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

ImageJ analysis on IFs

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Aris

Aris

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:34 PM

Hi all,

I am trying to analyse my signal from some IFs that I did. is there a way to do densitometry of my fluorescence signal with the ImageJ? Any ideas? Is there another program except ImageJ that would eventually be better than that?

thank you all

#2 cellcounter

cellcounter

Control Panel

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 July 2009 - 02:12 PM

Hi all,

I am trying to analyse my signal from some IFs that I did. is there a way to do densitometry of my fluorescence signal with the ImageJ? Any ideas? Is there another program except ImageJ that would eventually be better than that?

thank you all

Check out the first search result. You will find many other methods with different queries, Including NIH Image.

#3 Aris

Aris

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:49 PM

Hi all,

thank you all

Check out the first search result. You will find many other methods with different queries, Including NIH Image.

Thx for your post cellcounter

amazing link. I have gone through many adds but unfortunately I have not found any post specific for my problem. Could you please help me a little bit more in this??

thank you so much

#4 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,811 posts
Excellent

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:20 AM

if you have an image then imagej can be used to analyze it.

if you are looking at clear (or white) spots on a black background then you can invert the image to show positive values.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#5 Aris

Aris

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:40 PM

if you have an image then imagej can be used to analyze it.

if you are looking at clear (or white) spots on a black background then you can invert the image to show positive values.

I have black background and green spots. How can i evaluate them?

#6 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,811 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:20 AM

i would invert the image then convert to grayscale before evaluating.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must

#7 Aris

Aris

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:54 PM

i would invert the image then convert to grayscale before evaluating.

I did that and tried to evaluate but the values I get dont corespond to my observations. My upregulated images turn out downregulated in copmarison to normal...

#8 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,811 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:33 PM

did you invert before converting to grayscale?

if not then you will have high density for the background as well as the spot.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must

#9 polyfractal

polyfractal

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:59 PM

A bit of an aside, but if possible, I would attempt to get a program that specializes in western blot analysis. For instance, while ImageJ can perform background detection and subtraction (via rolling ball normalization), it does it to the whole blot. Specialized western blot analysis programs perform background subtraction on individual lanes and often have extra parameters for normalizing and quantifying bands.

#10 Aris

Aris

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 July 2009 - 07:20 AM

A bit of an aside, but if possible, I would attempt to get a program that specializes in western blot analysis. For instance, while ImageJ can perform background detection and subtraction (via rolling ball normalization), it does it to the whole blot. Specialized western blot analysis programs perform background subtraction on individual lanes and often have extra parameters for normalizing and quantifying bands.

Thx for the reply
which program would you suggest?
I have tried to invert and set to gray scale but still my readings are strange. Besides that what is the exact callibration i need to do b4 i start doing the measurments? Usually from what i have been shown for Western blot analysis, i have to set the ImageJ to the uncalibrated mode and set the scale to "pixel" and not "cm" which is the default setting. Now each time i try to do a measurement the scale setting goes back to cm. Is this the way it is supposed to be? And for IF images do i still have to do the Uncalibrated mode?
See the frustrating thing is that my upregulated images are for the naked eye really upregulated (20-20%). And when i try to measure with ImageJ all of a sudden they are downregulated. Strange strange strange....

#11 polyfractal

polyfractal

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:22 AM

Our lab uses "ImageQuant" to quantify western blots. Unfortunately, it is not a free program like ImageJ. It also has a slightly funky user interface. I would guess there are other good western blot softwares out there, I'm just not aware of them.

#12 Aris

Aris

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 July 2009 - 12:21 PM

Our lab uses "ImageQuant" to quantify western blots. Unfortunately, it is not a free program like ImageJ. It also has a slightly funky user interface. I would guess there are other good western blot softwares out there, I'm just not aware of them.

I downloaded ImageQuant. I have IFs and they arein color so i can not load them with this prog....

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.