• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

It's SUPERNATE!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 Telomerase

Telomerase

Evil Incarnate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:08 AM

Another interesting drift is the use of the word "data" (plural) verse "datum" (singular).

"The data is" rather than "The data are"

Interesting it is, still a mistake though. I use it as a plural.
As for purity of language, don't complain please. It's English that bastardizes many other languages :). Single words aren't so irritating as "engrish" grammar monsters which I often see in the commercials, or in the shops. The language of marketing, especially cosmetics, is littered with very wrong uses of Polish and English together. I had a laugh, though, when in early nineties there was a blackcurrant juice named "Black Dick". Changed later to "Black Bick". I imagine the face of the company boss when someone explained him that double meaning.
Big blunders like that don't happen so often since English use has spread, I've seen some interesting things in the country though: "Chicken z rozna, open cala dobe". (Barbecue chicken, open the whole day). Or "Mega cena" (mega price), which is supposed to mean that the price is low. Etc, etc...

Edited by Telomerase, 22 August 2009 - 05:14 AM.

"Beware the power of a PhD student" - scolix

#17 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,545 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:46 AM

Another interesting drift is the use of the word "data" (plural) verse "datum" (singular).

As for purity of language, don't complain please. It's English that bastardizes many other languages :). Single words aren't so irritating as "engrish" grammar monsters which I often see in the commercials, or in the shops. The language of marketing, especially cosmetics, is littered with very wrong uses of Polish and English together. I had a laugh, though, when in early nineties there was a blackcurrant juice named "Black Dick". Changed later to "Black Bick". I imagine the face of the company boss when someone explained him that double meaning.
Big blunders like that don't happen so often since English use has spread, I've seen some interesting things in the country though: "Chicken z rozna, open cala dobe". (Barbecue chicken, open the whole day). Or "Mega cena" (mega price), which is supposed to mean that the price is low. Etc, etc...

And English has replaced French that did the same before (at least in German and English, but I guess in many other languages too), words from 'abbreviation' up to 'war' have French origin...And from Latin long time before even more words have entered our languages, so I guess it is a normal process. Perhaps soon Chinese (or Japanese as in this forum :lol: ) words are coming...

And those words about private parts, the Americans and Brits have problems among themselves, I remember the US movie "Free Willy" that had a funny different meaning for the British people ;)

In Germany we had a company that produced a new rucksack/daypack brand and called them "body bags" :D

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#18 fishdoc

fishdoc

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 272 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:03 AM

And English has replaced French that did the same before (at least in German and English, but I guess in many other languages too), words from 'abbreviation' up to 'war' have French origin...And from Latin long time before even more words have entered our languages, so I guess it is a normal process. Perhaps soon Chinese (or Japanese as in this forum :lol: ) words are coming...

And those words about private parts, the Americans and Brits have problems among themselves, I remember the US movie "Free Willy" that had a funny different meaning for the British people ;)

In Germany we had a company that produced a new rucksack/daypack brand and called them "body bags" :D

There used to be a British post doc in our lab, and there was always a "discussion" between the use of "bum bag" (UK) and "fanny pack" (US). I guess the Brits find the US version a little more offensive than the Americans find the UK version.

#19 Kami23

Kami23

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:55 AM

There used to be a British post doc in our lab, and there was always a "discussion" between the use of "bum bag" (UK) and "fanny pack" (US). I guess the Brits find the US version a little more offensive than the Americans find the UK version.

Thats cos over here fanny means something completely different... its a horrible word for female reproductive organs...

#20 fishdoc

fishdoc

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 272 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:00 AM

Thats cos over here fanny means something completely different... its a horrible word for female reproductive organs...

Yeah, I know. She explained that to us. Angrily, at times.

#21 Kami23

Kami23

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:08 AM

Yeah, I know. She explained that to us. Angrily, at times.

lol i can see why she would be angry :lol:

#22 barry bert

barry bert

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:04 AM

The instructor should not have marked it wrong. if he/she had a preference then it could have been pointed out without penalizing a student for using a correct but slightly different term.

#23 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,811 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:37 AM

The instructor should not have marked it wrong. if he/she had a preference then it could have been pointed out without penalizing a student for using a correct but slightly different term.

plagiarism?
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#24 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:52 AM

plagiarism?

:rolleyes:...the nerve, eh MD? Perhaps we shld ask bb if he had passed the "identify these drunken letters/numbers test".....
"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#25 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,811 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:21 AM

i found that barry bert plagiarized in a number of his posts. he doesn't appear to be a bot, just opportunistic and trying to advertise his services as widely as possible, a human spammer.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#26 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:31 AM

i found that barry bert plagiarized in a number of his posts. he doesn't appear to be a bot, just opportunistic and trying to advertise his services as widely as possible, a human spammer.

Yup, I see it now...and even the typo he plagiarised (see the assistant professor thread in job and career)....that ain't cool at all.... :rolleyes: .....

#27 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,545 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:46 AM

Yup, I see it now...and even the typo he plagiarised (see the assistant professor thread in job and career)....that ain't cool at all.... :rolleyes: .....

one of those annoying signature-with-advertising-link-spammers. The rest of the text is useless as always...

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#28 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:30 AM

Yup, I see it now...and even the typo he plagiarised (see the assistant professor thread in job and career)....that ain't cool at all.... :lol: .....

one of those annoying signature-with-advertising-link-spammers. The rest of the text is useless as always...

honestly...a fast glance I read "Resume Writing"...and so I thought...oooh it's for people who stopped writing...HEY bb.....you forgot the accent aigu....;)

#29 Doki

Doki

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:43 PM

for a moment, I thought U were talking about me <_<
Simple living, highnot thinking

#30 lsek

lsek

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:14 PM

It's so funny.

There must have been plenty of crossed "supernate" in your report then, that led you to being so worked out with the supernate vs supernant thingy.

As of today, Google on supernate scores 175 thousand hits, whereas supernatant scores 4.65 million hits. Considering this, I would go along with the majority (regardless of native or not native speakers).

Ohya, what's so wrong to consider English as an international bastardized language? That is how it grew so influential today, right? To add to the list, African, Middle-Eastern, Asia, etc contributed too to the diversification, as well as growth in the language.

Just a thought ;)

===><===

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.