• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

All gradient samples give bands! How come?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
Excellent

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:13 AM

I just received new primers so i ran a gradient PCR to determine best annealing temp.

surprisingly all of my 5 tubes give the correct band.

temps were 57, 59, 61, 63 and 65C.

the only problem is that I have a lot of smear above the bands,....but nothing below it or no primer dimer

#2 T C

T C

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 277 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:44 AM

Its Okay

The smear could be coz of high template, just cut yr band of interest and proceed.

Best,
TC

I just received new primers so i ran a gradient PCR to determine best annealing temp.

the only problem is that I have a lot of smear above the bands,....but nothing below it or no primer dimer

#3 jiajia1987

jiajia1987

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 212 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:16 PM

The one that gives the brightest band is the one with the good annealing temperature. your purpose is to find the optimal annealing temperature right?

#4 hanming86

hanming86

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 156 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:21 AM

Try reducing the amount of DNA you're using

do 1:10 and 1:100.

see if it helps
Lab + Coffee + Music = Bliss

#5 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:03 PM

This happen to me before. what I do was reduce the annealing time and extension time, and the smear gone, at least it works for me.

Hope you are not running a "rush" electrophoresis (160w ??)...this might make the smear on top happen too...for my experience.
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.