• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

bacterial contamination in cell culture

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 koralreef3516

koralreef3516

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:29 AM

Hello,

I am pretty sure that my cells are contaminated but my boss thinks that it is just cell debris. There are very small black dots that seem to vibrate around my cells and floating in the media. The media is changing color from pink to yellow after one night and the cells are not confluent. Could this be cell debris? I think we should just throw out the cells and start with a fresh batch and I have tried to tell her this but she doesn't think so. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks

#2 gfischer

gfischer

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:24 AM

That sure sounds like contamination to me, not sure how your supervisor can disagree. I assume the contamination is in a component of your medium, so try setting up a well/flask without any cells, just media, serum, supplements, etc. You should see the same growth there. If that doesn't convince your supervisor, I don't know what will.
Above all things, if kindness is your king,
then heaven will be yours, before you meet your end

#3 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,316 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:39 AM

Hello,

I am pretty sure that my cells are contaminated but my boss thinks that it is just cell debris. There are very small black dots that seem to vibrate around my cells and floating in the media. The media is changing color from pink to yellow after one night and the cells are not confluent. Could this be cell debris? I think we should just throw out the cells and start with a fresh batch and I have tried to tell her this but she doesn't think so. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks

Aseptically plate out a bit of your "contaminated" cells and see what grows... if there is contamination you should see it immidiately.

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#4 GeorgeWolff

GeorgeWolff

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 294 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:51 PM

Your supervisor may be testing you.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.