• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Trizol RNA/DNA extraction

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 namekuji

namekuji

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:06 PM

Has anyone done simultaneous extraction of RNA and DNA using Trizol? In my hand the RNA part was fine but nothing pelleted in the DNA protocol. Here are a few things I noticed in the DNA isolation protocol.

1. The manual says it is important to completely remove the aqueous phase (which was used for RNA isolation) before you start. In doing so, I think I had to remove almost all interphase (insoluble) material. I am using very small amount of tissue so there wasn't much visible interphase in the first place.

2. The manual says to centrifuge at "no more than 2,000 xg". I thought it was a rather slow spin for precipitating nucleic acids. I even asked Invitrogen technical support and they said it was not a typo. Is this (slow spin) what you do? Does it work for you?

Any suggestions?

#2 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:09 AM

2. The manual says to centrifuge at "no more than 2,000 xg". I thought it was a rather slow spin for precipitating nucleic acids. I even asked Invitrogen technical support and they said it was not a typo. Is this (slow spin) what you do? Does it work for you?

this spin is not to pellet the nucleic acid, it is to separate the aqueous from the organic phase.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#3 namekuji

namekuji

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:06 AM

this spin is not to pellet the nucleic acid, it is to separate the aqueous from the organic phase.

No no you don't understand. This is AFTER the separation of the aqueous and organic phases. You remove the aqueous phase which contains RNA, then you add 100% ethanol to the organic phase and spin at 2000 g, which is supposed to pellet DNA.

#4 ph1ll1ps

ph1ll1ps

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:57 AM

hi,

Any suggestions?

I used an Ambion kit and a Qiagen kit for extracting DNA and RNA from one FFPE tissue sample but these kits use first phenol/chloroform then silica columns for the isolation. They work quit good I must say.

greetz
phillip

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.