• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Industry v/s Academia

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:12 PM

a government job may give better benefits (depending on the government) but usually lower salary than non-government jobs.

you are also always at the mercy of political situations.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#17 zienpiggie

zienpiggie

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 139 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:39 PM

Hmm.. how about teaching positions? I have heard of positions in the university where profs can either be 'research-tracked' or 'teaching-tracked'. Is this common?

#18 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,332 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:06 AM

Hmm.. how about teaching positions? I have heard of positions in the university where profs can either be 'research-tracked' or 'teaching-tracked'. Is this common?

yeah, thats an option too..
Another option is the other way around: working in the industry and being good at what you do and based on that (+the experience) becomming a (guest) teacher at university.
Lots of professors work both in industria and university.. think about spin offs etc..

Anyway: those things take time.. nobody becomes an expert/professor in 1 year .. You have to start somewhere.. and based on the decisions you then make.. you become a teacher/part time teacher/researcher/full time researcher/manager/industria...

I know people that work for the governement and also teach 1or 2 or moire courses (because they have the knowledge/experience) to teach.. While others started off working at the university as a researcher/teacher and now ended up working in a (their own) spin off in the industria and still teaching a bit or not at all..
Others started in a company and ended up being full time professors..
Hard to tell.. it all depends on what you decide to do the next years..

WHat is important to realise: most that start in undistria do NOT end up becoming a full time teacher/professor because that would mean they lost some of heir wage.. (professors vs industria.. the latter earns a lot more)...
Most of them (from indusria) teaching, only teach a few courses as guest lecturer.

We cant decide for you.. you need to know what you like: teaching, working, research..?

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#19 zienpiggie

zienpiggie

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 139 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:22 PM

Thanks for the response guyz. Industry jobs seem to be quite favored in this forum.

For me I recently realize that I enjoy teaching, while I am not sure if I want to continue doing research for the rest of my life. It's been an incredibly tough few years and I don't know if things will get better after PhD in academia.. At the same time, I have always been in the academia all my life and I am therefore wondering, what does industry job usually involve?

#20 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,332 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:42 AM

Thanks for the response guyz. Industry jobs seem to be quite favored in this forum.

For me I recently realize that I enjoy teaching, while I am not sure if I want to continue doing research for the rest of my life. It's been an incredibly tough few years and I don't know if things will get better after PhD in academia.. At the same time, I have always been in the academia all my life and I am therefore wondering, what does industry job usually involve?

It all depends.. but once you enter the industria, its hard to get out...
it pays better...
And another thing: industria means that at some point (for 90% of the people in industria with a PhD) you become a manager, more then a researcher..
You need to suit up then... Meetings, going away, more meetings... doing paperwork.. being very bussy...
But in the end: it all depends on your decisions.

If its money you want: industria
if its teaching you love: academia it is.. (there is more then just "teaching a class", there is also guiding PhD/masters/bachelorsstudents... )
If you want both: I would start in academia.. if you are good at what you do.. after a while you will get the oppertunity to either start your own spin off, or join one, or be asked to join/help a company.. Dont forget that the industria (research) often needs professors/PhDresearcher from university for their research etc..

And now you have your PhD.. this does make a difference compared to not having one normally.

But in the end it all depends on what you want...
And also in what country you live etc...
And ofcourse also in what field you work...

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.