• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

can't get homozygous mice, why?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 linboren

linboren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:58 AM

can any body help me with this:
The project i'm working on is to breed some transgenic -/- mice for experiments.
i started from putting my +/- male and female mice together to generate -/- animals, but so far i got only +/+ pups. Theoratically if it is embryonic lethal, i should have 33% +/+ and 66% of +/- instead. is there any other reason that i can't get -/- offspring?
thank you.

#2 Rnotk

Rnotk

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:33 PM

This might not be an answer that you are looking for, but

I had exactly same situation few months ago, and I could not figure our for a while.
and it turn out to be the genotype of parents were wrong (mother was wt, instead of het).

I am not blaming undergrad who did the genotype for me, but I realize it is important for me to make sure everything by myself.

#3 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,628 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:31 PM

Another option is that the -/- is embryonic lethal or biased in some fashion such that mendelian ratios don't work.

However I agree with Rnotk that it is quite likely that the genotype is wrong, I have seen this happen several times in a few different labs.

#4 linboren

linboren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:08 AM

Another option is that the -/- is embryonic lethal or biased in some fashion such that mendelian ratios don't work.

However I agree with Rnotk that it is quite likely that the genotype is wrong, I have seen this happen several times in a few different labs.

say if the genotyping thing was correct... is it possible the eggs and sperms for some reason were not able to carry mutant allele so that only +/+ zygotes were produced?

#5 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,628 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:29 PM

It is possible that mutant eggs or sperm are not viable, but then you wouldn't get +/- genotype either, unless it is specific to only one type of gamete (e.g. is only lethal to sperm). It is much more likely that the foetus is not viable as a -/-.

#6 Carlton H

Carlton H

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:18 AM

I think we're missing the point here...

The question is why does he NOT see heterozygotes in his litters. It's not just that the -/- are not viable, but the +/- are not either.

I think the likely answer is: Your mutation is dominant-negative. The product of your mutated gene is interfering with the normal function of the wild-type gene, rendering all your hets inviable.

Cheers,
-Carlton
NextAdvance
Reliable laboratory instruments for the life sciences, designed to enable you to work more effectively and increase productivity. Check us out!

If my answers help you, please take a moment to check out our site and see if any of our products would help you as well! Thanks!

#7 Chakchel

Chakchel

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 June 2009 - 10:41 PM

I think we're missing the point here...

The question is why does he NOT see heterozygotes in his litters. It's not just that the -/- are not viable, but the +/- are not either.

I think the likely answer is: Your mutation is dominant-negative. The product of your mutated gene is interfering with the normal function of the wild-type gene, rendering all your hets inviable.

Cheers,
-Carlton

...but then, where did he get his +/- male he started with?

I guess another check of the genotype would be the best to start with.

#8 linboren

linboren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:55 PM

is it possible the mutant allele can be wiped out in the C57BL/6J background, but not in the chimeric mice since they are more "artificial"?
in this case we might have hetero only in the 1st generation.

#9 Carlton H

Carlton H

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:07 PM

Touche. Haha...

@linboren - are you moving the mice onto a different background at all? I was previously working with a mutation that was lethal in blk/6, but not in balb/c. Could this be a similar issue?
NextAdvance
Reliable laboratory instruments for the life sciences, designed to enable you to work more effectively and increase productivity. Check us out!

If my answers help you, please take a moment to check out our site and see if any of our products would help you as well! Thanks!

#10 linboren

linboren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:07 PM

Touche. Haha...

@linboren - are you moving the mice onto a different background at all? I was previously working with a mutation that was lethal in blk/6, but not in balb/c. Could this be a similar issue?

the mutation was generated in chimeric male, then transferred to the C57BL/6J background.

#11 Animaniac

Animaniac

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:35 PM

Are they Tg or Knockout mice? (here in Aust we tend to use -/- for KO as it represents null)? However if you are not transferring onto a different background, and you say you have het parents and these mice have bred previously and all you get is +/+, then according to simple mendelian genetics, your parents would have to be both +/+.

I would check your primers and re-test your parents.

Good luck

#12 blackmouse

blackmouse

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:54 PM

My question is on which chromosome is the knock out mutation???
If it's on the X chromosome your males are hemizygote and potentially sterile...happened to me.
Either due to the mutation or just simply since you disrupted the X chromosome where a lot of spermatozyte maturation genes are encoded.
My bet..if it is on the X ..check by IHC for mature spermatocytes!!
Good luck!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.