• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Slippage of PCR polymerame

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 XCI

XCI

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:29 PM

Im doing some kvantitative analysis of DNA fragments amplified by PCR using a AmpliTaq polymerase.
The analysis is done on a ABI machine but do to a 43 x TC repeat several shadow bands are produced, which make it difficult to kvantify the product.
How can I avoid this??? Is there another polymerase I can use in stead or can I change the PCR programe???

#2 Michaelro

Michaelro

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:33 AM

Im doing some kvantitative analysis of DNA fragments amplified by PCR using a AmpliTaq polymerase.
The analysis is done on a ABI machine but do to a 43 x TC repeat several shadow bands are produced, which make it difficult to kvantify the product.
How can I avoid this??? Is there another polymerase I can use in stead or can I change the PCR programe???

You may try to change number of parameters
The first one is annealing temperature. Higher annealing temperature may reduce the amount of non-specific bands
Another parameter is magnesium ions concentration. Try to reduce/increase the magnesium in your reaction.
Changing the polymerase may also be a solution.
Good luck!

#3 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:51 AM

PCR is not the only DNA replication process that introduces slippage. You may find that your template DNA also has variable numbers of repeats.

I would try lowering the extension temperature to 60-65.

#4 XCI

XCI

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:32 AM

PCR is not the only DNA replication process that introduces slippage. You may find that your template DNA also has variable numbers of repeats.

I would try lowering the extension temperature to 60-65.

It is actually the variable number of repeats in the DNA that I am interested in investigating.
I tried lowering the extension temperature to 65 C and also lowering the number of cycles, but it didn't make any difference.
Any other surgestions?

#5 perneseblue

perneseblue

Unlimited ligation works!

• Global Moderators
  • 578 posts
Good

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:38 AM

try using a proof reading DNA polymerase.

I would use Phusion. Since this DNA polymerase is fused to a dsDNA binding protein, it should not experience as much slippage.
May your PCR products be long, your protocols short and your boss on holiday

#6 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 2,484 posts
Excellent

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:10 AM

I'd second the Phusion suggestion. But why do you think that the product you are seeing is not an accurate representation of the template(s) present in your template DNA.

#7 XCI

XCI

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:17 AM

I'd second the Phusion suggestion. But why do you think that the product you are seeing is not an accurate representation of the template(s) present in your template DNA.

I am using the area under the curves ( representing the peaks ) for quantification. This is why I am only interessed in one peak for every template DNA

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.