• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

protein overexpression question.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dc11

dc11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:58 AM

Hi all,

If a specific protein is strongly expressed in a cell type, can I still overexpress this protein in the cell using a plasmid transient transfection? Thanks a lot in advance for your input.

dc11

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:19 PM

You should be able to as the plasmids typically run off a viral, constitutively expressed promoter.

#3 Bomber

Bomber

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:29 AM

You can, but it might end up in having no apparant effect on the cell.
In case you haven't done it yet, you might want to repress the expression and then check for phenotypes.

#4 warsel

warsel

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:21 AM

I don't know of any case where that isn't possible. Even if your protein is already highly expressed, a constitutive powerful promoter (like CMV for instance) should be able to boost expression.

If you will see a phenotypic difference though is a different matter (and more so if your phenotypic difference is due to overexpression of ANY protein* or due to specific effects of the protein you chose to overexpress)

*like accumulation of misfolded proteins, putting stress on the protein synthesis machinery, aggregation etc.

Edited by warsel, 06 June 2009 - 02:21 AM.

#5 giota22

giota22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:43 PM

Hello, I'm new to this forum. Could you analyze to me what protein overexpression is, where it is used and everything relevant to this subject. Thank you!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.