• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Simultaneous BLAST for several proteins

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cardosopedro

cardosopedro

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:53 AM

Hi.

Can someone tell me if it is possible to do a simultaneous BLAST for several proteins?

I'm trying to analyse by BLAST the similarities between cell death proteins of the filamentous fungus Neurospora crassa and Homo sapiens. For instance, I have the list of H. sapiens' "programmed cell death-associated molecules" from geneontology.org. I want to BLAST this molecules against a N. crassa database. Will I have to do it one-by-one?

Thanks!

#2 pcrman

pcrman

Epigenetist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,165 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:16 AM

Some databases allow you to do that. You just need to organize your sequences in FASTA format and put them in one file. Then upload or paste the content of the file to BLAST program.

#3 cardosopedro

cardosopedro

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 127 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:36 AM

Ok, thanks.

But still, let's say that I'm trying to BLAST hundreds of molecules. Is it possible to BLAST them all at once? Is it possible to get a .txt with FASTA sequences of them all at once?

#4 HomeBrew

HomeBrew

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 930 posts
Good

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:34 AM

You should look at NetBLAST (see here), aka "blastcl3". It is a command-line utility that will allow you to BLAST many sequences at once, retaining the results in a single file.

To do things like this more rapidly (e.g. on a genomic scale), I have also used custom local databases and Perl scripts to perform the BLAST and parse the output files, using the command line utility blastall (see here).

#5 cardosopedro

cardosopedro

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 127 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:43 AM

You should look at NetBLAST (see here), aka "blastcl3". It is a command-line utility that will allow you to BLAST many sequences at once, retaining the results in a single file.

To do things like this more rapidly (e.g. on a genomic scale), I have also used custom local databases and Perl scripts to perform the BLAST and parse the output files, using the command line utility blastall (see here).

Thanks.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.