• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Drosophila tissue homogenization

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 abbas

abbas

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:57 AM

I'm trying to extract proteins and RNAs from adult whole Drosophilas. At the moment I'm using an IKA ultra turrax blender, which is not a tissue homogenizer per se. I would really appreciate if someone could give advice on the best methods on homogenizing Drosophila tissues. Thanks a lot in advance.

#2 AquaPlasmid

AquaPlasmid

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:48 AM

I'm trying to extract proteins and RNAs from adult whole Drosophilas. At the moment I'm using an IKA ultra turrax blender, which is not a tissue homogenizer per se. I would really appreciate if someone could give advice on the best methods on homogenizing Drosophila tissues. Thanks a lot in advance.

Abbas,

I wish to be helpful and would like to let you know that AquaRNA extracts both proteins and RNAs from the same specimen and unlike using other methods you don't have a hard time to solubilize the final protein pellet for Western. As far as homogenization goes, I think your turrax would work, and you could use disposible bits or rinse the bits with bleech between each fly. We give out 1-ml trial samples if asked.

Cheers,
AquaPlasmid

#3 abbas

abbas

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:59 AM

Abbas,

I wish to be helpful and would like to let you know that AquaRNA extracts both proteins and RNAs from the same specimen and unlike using other methods you don't have a hard time to solubilize the final protein pellet for Western. As far as homogenization goes, I think your turrax would work, and you could use disposible bits or rinse the bits with bleech between each fly. We give out 1-ml trial samples if asked.

Cheers,
AquaPlasmid

Thanks for the reply. I rinsed the blender with 70% ethanol between each homogenization. Is bleach better than using ethanol?

#4 AquaPlasmid

AquaPlasmid

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:59 PM

Abbas,

Cheers,
AquaPlasmid

Thanks for the reply. I rinsed the blender with 70% ethanol between each homogenization. Is bleach better than using ethanol?

Yes, bleach! In my hands only bleach rinse can prevent cross-contamination.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.