• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Making Primer Dimers on Purpose

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 georgiadave

georgiadave

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:54 AM

So I am trying to add a 3HA tag to the 3' end of my gene but I didn't want to use anybody else's HA construct b/c I needed unique restriction sites on both ends. My idea was to make primers that are complementary and each contain 1.5HA sequence, PCR them up without any template, and the primer dimer would be my product...my 3HA tag.

Any suggestions on my primer stock solution concentration...my normal -80oC primer conc. is 200uM.

Thanks!

#2 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:25 AM

This will work fine. The oligos should overlap by at least 15 bp or so at their 3' end. The primer concentration should be similar to that used in any PCR reaction. You should check the sequence -- oligos have a high error rate, especially long ones.

#3 georgiadave

georgiadave

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:33 AM

Good to hear. My overlap region is 25bp. The sequence and purity of the oligo was a concern but I am thinking that HPLC purification will be sufficient.

#4 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 2,484 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:58 AM

I would not bother with the cost of HPLC purification, but simply sequence a few clones after the fact. Remember to put sufficient 5' sequence to allow cutting with your restriction enzymes. I usually add around 6-8 bp.

#5 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,786 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:30 PM

Most people just design oligos containing your tag of interest (HA) and a sequence specific to your gene of interest. Use this in conventional PCR to amplify the tag and gene as one unit, then clone. I did this just a couple of weeks ago and it works fine.

#6 georgiadave

georgiadave

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:57 PM

Hmm...I didn't think to do it that way. There is more than one way to do anything so thank you for the different thought pattern.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.