• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Phenol red in media

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alun2009

alun2009

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:28 AM

Dear Forum,

Sorry for the basic nature of my question, but I a very new to tissue culture. I understand phenol red is used in media as a pH indicator. But does anyone know what are the metabolic products of cells that are acidic?

Thanks for your help,

Alun.

#2 klinmed

klinmed

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:15 AM

Dear Forum,

Sorry for the basic nature of my question, but I a very new to tissue culture. I understand phenol red is used in media as a pH indicator. But does anyone know what are the metabolic products of cells that are acidic?

Thanks for your help,

Alun.

Mammalian cells, under typical conditions, convert most of the glucose consumed into lactic acid. This ultimately has adverse effects on cell growth. Indeed, the accumulation of lactate limits the maximum cell concentration achieved in cultures.

Hope this helps

#3 alun2009

alun2009

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:52 PM

Dear Forum,

Thanks for your help,

Alun.

Mammalian cells, under typical conditions, convert most of the glucose consumed into lactic acid. This ultimately has adverse effects on cell growth. Indeed, the accumulation of lactate limits the maximum cell concentration achieved in cultures.

Hope this helps

Thanks - that makes sense. Do you also think the production of CO2 by the cells could acidify the media?

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.