• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Filtration DNA before transfection?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 verves11

verves11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:02 PM

I would like to really know wheather is necessary to filter plasmid DNA before transfection. I would like to perform some transfection assays. I plan to use commercially available kits for palsmid isolation. Just going through the manual, there is no remark about filtration of palsmid DNA before performing transfection? So is this step necessary or not? I would normally diltute my isolated palsmid for recommedded concentration and finally filter trough 0,22 filter? Could this step somehow destroy the DNA?
How to exacly prepare the palsmid DNA for transfection?

Edited by verves11, 19 May 2009 - 11:03 PM.

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,628 posts
Excellent

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:19 PM

I don't filter my DNA, and I have only had one infection of bacteria from transfection. If the DNA has been prepared in a suitably clean environment, it should be sterile.

#3 verves11

verves11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:37 PM

I don't filter my DNA, and I have only had one infection of bacteria from transfection. If the DNA has been prepared in a suitably clean environment, it should be sterile.

I am quite limited with the lab space so I have to purify my DNA in the same lab, where all the manipulation with bacteria are done. So I would be little bit worry not to furtehr contaminate my cells.

#4 little mouse

little mouse

Missele, the little mouse

• Active Members
  • 172 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:58 PM

I never filtered my plasmids. it was most transient transfections, but for at least 3 weeks I never had a contamination. I use medium with penicillin and streptomycine.
If you filter your DNA, I think you will lose some DNA sticked on the filter and you will not get the whole volume of your sample back. So you might loose a lot of DNA. Think about it.

#5 madrius1

madrius1

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 114 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:07 AM

Same here.

Never filtered my DNA and never got any contamination. You should be fine, specially if these are transient transfection!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.