• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Invitrogen iBlot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gfischer

gfischer

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:06 PM

Has anyone ever used Invitrogen's iBlot dry blotting system for Western protein transfer? I have one, and it sounds great (protein transfer in 7 minutes!!), but it almost sounds too good to be true. Has anyone seen/used this before? If not, I'll give it a shot and let you know if it works.

Edited by gfischer, 18 May 2009 - 12:07 PM.

Above all things, if kindness is your king,
then heaven will be yours, before you meet your end

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,628 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:21 PM

Used it and didn't like it... it was very hot running and with the quick transfer didn't transfer all the protein we wanted it to. It was also very expensive to use - approx US$15-20 per 2 membranes.

#3 gfischer

gfischer

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 195 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:53 AM

Used it and didn't like it... it was very hot running and with the quick transfer didn't transfer all the protein we wanted it to. It was also very expensive to use - approx US$15-20 per 2 membranes.

What was the MW of the protein you were using? According to the manual, large proteins don't transfer well.
Above all things, if kindness is your king,
then heaven will be yours, before you meet your end

#4 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,628 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:37 PM

70-90 kDa, literally nothing on the membrane as stained by coomassie. We could have tweaked the transfer time but thought the effort and price weren't worth it seeing as our system is working nicely and still wouldn't be completed in one day with the iBlot.

#5 medchemgirl

medchemgirl

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:50 AM

That is just good to know, I was thinking about getting one myself, but after looking at the cost for everything I had second thoughts. Now I'm convinced!

I am using their NuPage gel system though.

#6 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,628 posts
Excellent

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:26 PM

Yeah, their nu-page is good. If we could afford to use pre-cast gels and iblot and western detection kit, then it would be a good system for getting everything done in one day. As it is, they are just too expensive, and I don't like the hot transfer, it will probably affect some more sensitive proteins.

#7 medchemgirl

medchemgirl

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:12 PM

Yup!

Yeah, their nu-page is good. If we could afford to use pre-cast gels and iblot and western detection kit, then it would be a good system for getting everything done in one day. As it is, they are just too expensive, and I don't like the hot transfer, it will probably affect some more sensitive proteins.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.