• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Contaminating proteins for Fluorescence polarization assay

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 amano

amano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:31 PM

I am handing over some protein samples to a collaborator to do a fluorescence polarization assay to determine binding affinity as a check for activity of a protein that I'm modifying. Using quantitative Western or Coomassie Blue stain, I can determine the concentration of just the protein of interest in a mixture. My question is whether contaminating proteins (carrier protein, enzyme for modifications, etc) will affect the readout of the fluorescence polarization reading. I will lose a significant amount of modified protein if I purify it from the mixture, so I'm wondering if the "dirty" prep would work for fluorescence polarization if I know the concentration of the protein I'm interested in.

Thanks

#2 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:29 AM

i really don't know anything about fluorescence polarization but...

i would imagine that it would have similar requirements as methods like x-ray diffraction which requires protein as pure as you can make it (and crystallized, but i don't think you need that).

the best way to find out is to ask the lab which is going to perform the test. they will tell you the requirements.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.