• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

How to increase A260/280 and A260/230 ratio for microarray experiment?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wntiong

wntiong

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 May 2009 - 04:08 PM

Hi,

I often get a poor ratio of A260/280 and A260/230 ratio from several rna isolations i did.

Since i going to do microarray work, can give me some advise how to increase these ratios? Any tip?

Thank you.

#2 Clare

Clare

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:43 AM

Hey there :P

Have you tried precipitating your RNA? We have to do this for our DNA as after amplification the ratios are a bit rubbish. After precipitation it's all good ;)

Clare

Hi,

I often get a poor ratio of A260/280 and A260/230 ratio from several rna isolations i did.

Since i going to do microarray work, can give me some advise how to increase these ratios? Any tip?

Thank you.

#3 wntiong

wntiong

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:50 AM

Hey there :wacko:

Have you tried precipitating your RNA? We have to do this for our DNA as after amplification the ratios are a bit rubbish. After precipitation it's all good :D

Clare

Hi,

Thank you.

can i Re-precipitate the RNA with Isopropanol again or perform more ethanol wash? thanks

#4 Clare

Clare

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 192 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:18 AM

can i Re-precipitate the RNA with Isopropanol again or perform more ethanol wash? thanks
[/quote]

For both RNA and DNA I add 2vol Abs. EtOH and NaOAc to a final conc. of 0.3M. Chuck it in -80 (either ON or at least 30 mins) or put tubes on dry ice for 5-10 mins.
Spin 30 mins, max speed (if using eppendorf tubes).
Remove SN and add 70% EtOH to wash.
Air dry pellet and resuspend in water :wacko:

Clare

#5 wntiong

wntiong

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:33 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Because i am dealing with rna isolation from whole blood, and often get a pink aqueous phase during rna isolation, i am not sure if this affect the rna quality.. any advise? thanks

wenni

#6 Clare

Clare

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 192 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:53 AM

Thanks for your reply.

Because i am dealing with rna isolation from whole blood, and often get a pink aqueous phase during rna isolation, i am not sure if this affect the rna quality.. any advise? thanks

wenni

Do you remove the RBCs before you try and isolate RNA?
C

#7 Vini

Vini

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 178 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:29 AM

Hi,

Thank you.

Are you getting poor ratios even after purifying your RNA with a purification kit, like that from QIAgen??? because, i usually get much improved ratios after this purification step.

#8 Ahrenhase

Ahrenhase

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 161 posts
Good

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:28 PM

Hi,

Thank you.

Are you getting poor ratios even after purifying your RNA with a purification kit, like that from QIAgen??? because, i usually get much improved ratios after this purification step.

yeah run it through a qiagen RNeasy kit

#9 wntiong

wntiong

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for your reply.

wenni

Do you remove the RBCs before you try and isolate RNA?
C

Hi Clare,

I didnt remove RBC, but stabilize in tri-reagent immediately after blood was drawn.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.