• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Silly things that make Scientists/Researchers happy

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 perneseblue

perneseblue

Unlimited ligation works!

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
Good

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:05 AM

I havent tried this one so what happens when you put dry ice in an eppendorf tube?.

The lid pops off and an audible sound is heard.

And out of curiosity how would you do this?

1. To an empty eppendorf tube place one pellet of dry ice into the tube
2. Close the cap of the eppendorf tube.
3. Quickly place sealed tube in a warm place
4. Retreat to a safe distance.
5. Wait
Note: Beware of patrolling safety officer. Safety first. Wear safety glasses.

Do I just add some of the ice pellets to an eppendorf? Should i stand back pretty quickly after doing it?

Yes. You have a few minutes. Mostly it depends on the room temperature. Do note that your hands are warm. Use a rack to more the tube. Warm hands will sublime the carbon dioxide pellet.

(Of course i just want to find out what not to do, you know.... in case it happened to me by accident ;) !!!, I wouldnt dream of putting dry ice in an eppendorf ;) )

Most certainly. This is purely a hypothetical discussion, in the even that you should find dry ice in a sealed eppendorf. The more extreme version of this endeavour is to place liquid nitrogen into a closed eppendorf tube. The bang is louder, more dramatic and more dangerous. Real injury is possible.
May your PCR products be long, your protocols short and your boss on holiday

#17 toejam

toejam

Guitar Hero

• Active Members
  • 159 posts
Good

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:23 AM

(Of course i just want to find out what not to do, you know.... in case it happened to me by accident ;) !!!, I wouldnt dream of putting dry ice in an eppendorf ;) )

Most certainly. This is purely a hypothetical discussion, in the even that you should find dry ice in a sealed eppendorf. The more extreme version of this endeavour is to place liquid nitrogen into a closed eppendorf tube. The bang is louder, more dramatic and more dangerous. Real injury is possible.

please do not try this at home, or should i say at the lab, unless you're qualified to...
"When there's no more room in hell the dead will walk the Earth"

#18 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,531 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:46 AM

(Of course i just want to find out what not to do, you know.... in case it happened to me by accident :( !!!, I wouldnt dream of putting dry ice in an eppendorf ;) )

please do not try this at home, or should i say at the lab, unless you're qualified to...

In my institute, once some PhD students throw a heap of dry ice (what's inside a parcel from any company sending biological material in dry ice) in a large puddle on the institutes parking area...nice effect the vapour and big dirty bubbles. But finally someone called the fire brigade...not so nice. ;)

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#19 hanming86

hanming86

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 156 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:55 AM

seeing bacterial colony on agar plate makes me happy.

it's a sign of life. life is good and life goes on
Lab + Coffee + Music = Bliss

#20 madrius1

madrius1

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 114 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:55 AM

Pouring liquid nitrogen on the floor and watch the small droplets bounce of the wall as they hit it!

#21 Telomerase

Telomerase

Evil Incarnate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:55 AM

Watching baby mice in the animal room. That's why I get stuck in there twice as long as I need :P
"Beware the power of a PhD student" - scolix

#22 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:07 AM

:) yeah, like you don't wanna leave. Mine would be whenever I go to the microscope/imaging facility....the walls are lined with posters and enlarged pics of stained cells and tissues, some of Nikon's Small World past winners....the brilliant colours hit you first and then the intricate designs......an art gallery right there....

and then you go thru these inevitable stages: first, awe and appreciation "nature is perfect, the guys from AT&T Bell Labs and Zeiss, geniuses"; then the frustration "why are my images never this good"; and lastly, the art critic comes out: "enhanced, enhanced, touched -up, photoshopped, what the heck are those?" :P

hope everyone's having a nice weekend....

casandra

Edited by casandra, 02 May 2009 - 05:29 AM.

"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#23 miRNA man

miRNA man

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:50 AM

Dipping my bacteria spreader in ethanol and then burning it off :)

#24 lab rat

lab rat

Why does a science forum not have pictures of mice and rats?

• Active Members
  • 245 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:35 PM

Filling out the last page of an old lab book (perfectly to the bottom, no overflow).

Filling out the first page of a new lab book.

Finding that someone brought a can of cinnamon buns to the breakroom and baked them in the communal toaster oven just before coffee break time.
42..."An immutable fixed-precision number of unlimited magnitude." <a href="http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)</a>, accessed 25June2009.

#25 Danina

Danina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:25 PM

Well, I suppose the eppendorf tube will explode due to increased pressure of CO2, yes?

What makes me happy in the lab? that's a really good question ;)

I'm happy when I have to streak out some bacteria on LB agar/Amp. I am happy when taking out old media by suction from my LNCaP flask. Sound weird, but it feels great to know that I have changed the medium :P

#26 SS17

SS17

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:01 AM

seeing well stocked pipette racks makes me happy when on the hood :)

#27 toejam

toejam

Guitar Hero

• Active Members
  • 159 posts
Good

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:42 AM

printing double sided. makes me feel "environmentally friendly" :)
"When there's no more room in hell the dead will walk the Earth"

#28 Minnie Mouse

Minnie Mouse

Super Mouse

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Good

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:11 PM

printing double sided. makes me feel "environmentally friendly" :D

same here :wacko:

#29 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:49 PM

Nobody is using the hood or thermal cycler...so i can use.

Edited by adrian kohsf, 07 June 2010 - 09:51 PM.

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#30 laurequillo

laurequillo

The Goddamn Batman!

• Active Members
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:39 PM

putting dry ice in eppendorf tubes....

I agree...playing around with the dry ice...puting in a biker with water and soap. Or play with the liquid nitrogen, putting things inside...yeahh..the joy of science... ;)
"He must be very ignorant for he answers every question he is asked" Voltaire

"This is SPARTA!"

"Im the goddamn batman"

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.