• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

soil sampling for bacterial diversity study

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tanja N

Tanja N

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:48 AM

I would like to analyze bacterial diversity in contaminated soil. I' ve seen some papers in which authors tell that the sampling should be done from 0 - 0.5 m (surface to 0.5m of depth), and my question is how to take samples, with which tool?
Thanks in advance,
T :P

#2 gebirgsziege

gebirgsziege

I like fungi

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:15 AM

Depends on what and where you want to sample.....usually you use a soil corer or similar example

The depth is depending on you question.....sometimes the upper 10 cm are enoutgh and the next time you need to go down 1 m......

And sometimes you will wish you had dynamite :P good luck!
A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. (Oscar Wilde)

#3 Tanja N

Tanja N

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:43 PM

Depends on what and where you want to sample.....usually you use a soil corer or similar example

The depth is depending on you question.....sometimes the upper 10 cm are enoutgh and the next time you need to go down 1 m......

And sometimes you will wish you had dynamite :huh: good luck!

Thanks! Hope that I will have good luck! B)

#4 GeorgeWolff

GeorgeWolff

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:03 PM

If you really want to understand the microbial diversity - culture is not the way to go.

Sounds like you're most interested in the soil associated with "contamination." Suggest you focus on that part.

#5 Tanja N

Tanja N

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:57 AM

If you really want to understand the microbial diversity - culture is not the way to go.]

Sounds like you're most interested in the soil associated with "contamination." Suggest you focus on that part.

That actually is my idea, to do the metagenomic analysis of contaminated soil. Also I would like to try culture dependent approach, hopefully to isolate single strains B) .

I have analyzed literature regarding that particular type of contamination, and I couldn't find any info about the contaminants concentration & soil depth & bacterial diversity correlations. :unsure:
So, as "gebirgsziege" has said I guess I will have to go for trial and errors.

Edited by Tanja N, 11 May 2009 - 06:58 AM.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.