• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Agarose gel problem.. plz help

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Shruti B

Shruti B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:40 PM

Hello!
1)I've a 420 bp PCR fragment. On restriction enzyme digestion 2 fragments are produced- 386bp and 34 bp..
I tried running the RFLP products and the undigested PCR product (control) on 2 % agarose but i've failed to obtain a good resolution..Can any1 suggest wht percentage of agarose wud be appropriate to obtain a good resolution.
2)Also when i load my RFLP samples it seems to run unevenly ( the samples form an arc) .Can this be due to excess sample loading.. I checked the buffer level..the gel is always immersed in the buffer (TBE). The voltage that i apply is 120. and yes the arc is obtained when i load the sampl in another appratus too.Plz help...

Edited by Shruti B, 26 April 2009 - 04:25 AM.

#2 T C

T C

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:15 PM

Hey,

Choose:

1. Digest with another enzyme which would atleast give you 100 bp fragment, 150 + 250 would be good.

2. 34 bp is tricky on agarose gel, try PAGE.

3. In my view 1.5% should do if u still wana go for agarose but its tricky.

4. The arc could be due to the tank, run it in another apparatus and check.

Hope it helps.

Best,
TC

Hello!
1)I've a 420 bp PCR fragment. On restriction enzyme digestion 2 fragments are produced- 386bp and 34 bp..
I tried running the RFLP products and the undigested PCR product (control) on 2 % agarose but i've failed to obtain a good resolution..Can any1 suggest wht percentage of agarose wud be appropriate to obtain a good resolution.
2)Also when i load my RFLP samples it seems to run unevenly ( the samples form an arc) .Can this be due to excess sample loading.. I checked the buffer level..the gel is always immersed in the buffer (TBE). The voltage that i apply is 120. Plz help...

#3 Shruti B

Shruti B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:52 AM

the arc is obtained even when i load the samples in another electrophoretic apparatus.. what shud I do? and i cannot use another restriction enzyme.

Edited by Shruti B, 26 April 2009 - 04:52 AM.

#4 T C

T C

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 277 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:25 AM

Oh yeah you write it in yr last post as well...I missed that....Its the bands which form a small arc (which could be due to high concentration and is okay) or its due to differential mobility in various wells? (thats what I gathered earlier and this is not okay). :wacko:

Best,
TC

the arc is obtained even when i load the samples in another electrophoretic apparatus.. what shud I do? and i cannot use another restriction enzyme.

#5 Shruti B

Shruti B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:58 AM

differential mobility in different wells.. that is what is happening.. i tried in different apparatus.. but the same thing happened again.. the buffer is fine coz my colleague used it too and had no such problem... :wacko:

#6 T C

T C

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 277 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:26 PM

So clearly its got something to do with yr sample. To confirm this, maybe you can run the sample (or the ladder) in all the wells (alternate wells will do) and check if you still see it, if not then there is somethign in yr sample that you need to take care of.

Best,
TC

differential mobility in different wells.. that is what is happening.. i tried in different apparatus.. but the same thing happened again.. the buffer is fine coz my colleague used it too and had no such problem... :D

#7 Shruti B

Shruti B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:50 AM

ok.. and correct me if i'm wrong but if i wanna increase the difference between 420 and 386 bp fragments then shudn't i be increasing the agarose % ? say 3% etc.

#8 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,704 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:27 PM

does the "arc" look like a smile?

smiling is caused by uneven heating of the gel. you may want to try running at a lower voltage.

if you can't resolve the 420 and 386 bp fragments then you can use a higher concentration or switch to "metaphor" agarose.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#9 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,506 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:40 PM

I agree 2% agarose with 120 V is perhaps too much, I'd try 80-100 for better results. Another way to increase resolution are longer gels. If you don't have a larger chamber, try to run the gel as far as possible (and stain it afterwards, if the EtBr is already gone).
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#10 swanny

swanny

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 367 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:25 PM

... or you could run the gel in borate alone. Make up your gel in this buffer:

20x recipe: 38 g/l sodium borate
24 g/l boric acid

The gel will run much faster, so slow it down a bit. Also, without the Tris and EDTA, there is no effective buffering, so you can't re-use the buffer more than a couple of times. The good thing is that you should be able to resolve the difference between 420 and 386 bp. (I have separated the "500 bp" double band on a DNA ladder into the 504 and 517 bands, so I speak from experience). Also, if you are in a rush, the gel can run very fast without heating (up to a point, of course); the main culprit for heating is Tris.
Heart disease kills more women than breast cancer, but heart attack symptoms differ from men's symptoms. Get to know your heart... it could save your life.

#11 merlav

merlav

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:36 AM

Use a 3% gel and can mix 50:50 of a regular (but good quality agarose) and a very purified agarose (like methaphor). Use a V of 75-80, 120 is good to just know if there is a band or no, but for RFLP thats to high.
Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale.
Marie Curie

#12 microgirl

microgirl

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 122 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:00 AM

I've had horrible smile problems that disappeared when I changed the power supply.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.