• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Agarose gel electrophoresis problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 greenhill

greenhill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:39 AM

Please help! :unsure: I am having a problem running my agarose gels. The ladders always end up looking very distorted. The bands are smeared towrdas the top end, but fairly well defined at the bottom end. The middle looks like all the bands have landed on top of each other. I have tried different voltages from 80-120V and different buffers (TAE and TBE), but to know avail. In the attached image, I tried a series of different ladders to see if it was the particular ladder I was using. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Attached Thumbnails

• 204506963_2009_04_21_15hr_17min.jpg

#2 Kami23

Kami23

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:15 AM

Please help! :unsure: I am having a problem running my agarose gels. The ladders always end up looking very distorted. The bands are smeared towrdas the top end, but fairly well defined at the bottom end. The middle looks like all the bands have landed on top of each other. I have tried different voltages from 80-120V and different buffers (TAE and TBE), but to know avail. In the attached image, I tried a series of different ladders to see if it was the particular ladder I was using. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

it looks to me like your ladder is degraded.. how old is it? also do you change tips every time you dip in (EtBr will degrade the DNA)? Do you aliquot it first (this protects against the effects of freeze-thaw)?

#3 HomeBrew

HomeBrew

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
Good

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:49 AM

If it's not the buffer, and it's not the ladder, it's either the gel or the equipment.

Are you sure you're casting the gels in the buffer you're running them in, and not in water? Are you sure the buffer is the right strength?

Do you have another power supply you can try?

Is the power supply set to constant voltage or constant current?

Do you have another gel electrophoresis chamber you can try?

#4 mastermi

mastermi

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:54 AM

Your whole gel looks irregularly stained, like the agarose didn't melt completely. That could be due to either the agarose or the buffer your cooking it in...

#5 Astilius

Astilius

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:39 AM

As mastermi says it looks irregularly stained. Has it been allowed to set properly and not been moved around. It looks like ripple lines at the bottom there.
It might be a density problem related to this or the agarose not being melted properly.
To the last, I grapple with thee; from Hell's heart, I stab at thee; for hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee.

#6 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,787 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:35 AM

is there salt left in your samples?
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#7 HomeBrew

HomeBrew

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 930 posts
Good

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:00 PM

From the original post, it seemed like greenhill has had this problem with a number of gels, and the run shown is of MW ladders only. So, a persistent problem like that makes me think it's a persistent buffer or gel ingredient preparation problem or an equipment problem, and not a sample problem. It also seems like it's probably not due to incomplete melting or hardening of the agarose, as I could see this happening on occasion, but not on multiple consecutive gels (though this problem would likely manifest itself in this way).

#8 Niraj

Niraj

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:38 PM

Hi,
Please stirr after every few min of boiling youer agarose and they will disappear.
Best of luck.

Edited by nirajm, 25 April 2009 - 03:38 PM.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.