• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

What happens when a manufacturer discovers a bat lot/batch?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 avogadro23

avogadro23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:14 PM

I just started working in a new lab, and we're having some issues with microbial contamination in our cell cultures. We're still tracking it down, and aren't really sure if it might be the stock reagent, our prepared aliquots, or something else.

One thing that I was wondering is: if, say, the manufacturer produced a bad batch of fetal bovine serum, would the manufacturer go ahead and notify all the labs that had bought that lot number? Is this standard practice among manufacturers? I asked my PI, but he was unsure. I did some searches but didn't find any answers . My expectation would be that that yes, this notification should be universal and automatic.

Thanks.

#2 Wolverena

Wolverena

Spirit

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:12 PM

I just started working in a new lab, and we're having some issues with microbial contamination in our cell cultures. We're still tracking it down, and aren't really sure if it might be the stock reagent, our prepared aliquots, or something else.

One thing that I was wondering is: if, say, the manufacturer produced a bad batch of fetal bovine serum, would the manufacturer go ahead and notify all the labs that had bought that lot number? Is this standard practice among manufacturers? I asked my PI, but he was unsure. I did some searches but didn't find any answers . My expectation would be that that yes, this notification should be universal and automatic.

Thanks.

I don't know the answer to your question (unfortunately), but you could call the company and ask them if they have any records. Something similar happened to me ones....I called the company and then they checked if they had any other calls/complains about that particular batch.
"You can give somebody a book on 'How to ride bike' and then test that person on that knowledge. Even if that person gets an "A", it doesn't mean that he or she can ride a bike."
---this is what I am telling myself when I get a bad grade....as long as you don't loose your passion, you'll be fine.....V

#3 dnaphile

dnaphile

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:47 PM

They will not contact you. I've always contacted companies--they will tell you if other people have reported problems and if not, record your complaint so that it may help others.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.