• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Heating RNA samples for electrophoresis

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ahrenhase

Ahrenhase

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Good

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:33 AM

I'm running a native (non-denaturing) electrophoresis gel to see if there's any degredation in my samples. Most of the protocols I"m reading require that you heat the samples and ladders up (~70C) then chill them on ice. Is the purpose to denature any RNases that could be in the sample?

#2 nofx

nofx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:47 AM

To relieve any secondary structure in the RNA

#3 dvddecarvalho

dvddecarvalho

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:24 AM

To my knowledge, the best way to check RNA degradation is in a denaturing gel. This way you must see the two ribosomal bands (in the case of eukaryotic cells) and no smearing. In a native gel you will probably see some smearing but you can`t distinguish between degradation or RNA in secundary structure.
BTW, heating in this protocols is the denaturing step. RNases are not afected in such temperature.
I encourage you to do a formamide/formaldehyde denaturing gel.

Good look

#4 molgen

molgen

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:24 AM

To my knowledge, the best way to check RNA degradation is in a denaturing gel. This way you must see the two ribosomal bands (in the case of eukaryotic cells) and no smearing. In a native gel you will probably see some smearing but you can`t distinguish between degradation or RNA in secundary structure.
BTW, heating in this protocols is the denaturing step. RNases are not afected in such temperature.
I encourage you to do a formamide/formaldehyde denaturing gel.

Good look

I agree, the best way is on a denaturing gel. But, you can see the ribosomal bands very well on a native gel too.
I usually run a native gel and not a denaturing gel because of the formamide/formaldehyde. I try not to use them when possible.

If you see a smear on the native gel that is a back round then it's Okay as long as the ribosomal bands are sharp (the smear is your mRNA). If the ribosomal bands are smeared to then you have degradation.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.