• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

suggestions on the genomic DNA quality

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nirupakl

nirupakl

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:26 AM

We have done genomic DNA isolation from tadpoles by phenol-chloroform method. A 0.5% Agarose gel was run. Genomic DNA appeared as a smear along with a thick band at the top. The concentration of DNA loaded was 1.5 ug. HindIII digest is loaded in first lane. We are planning to do restriction digestion of this DNA. Please suggest us if this DNA is of good quality and whether it is suitable for restriction digestion.We read that phenol, chloroform, and EDTA interferes with restriction digestion.Someone please suggest how to purify genomic DNA.

Attached Thumbnails

• genomic_dna.jpg

#2 Trof

Trof

Brain on a stick

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:05 AM

I would say you have too much DNA there to check, we usually use 1ul of DNA to the gel (around 100 - 200 ng). In this picture it seems partially degraded, but that can be only from overloading.
There should be no smear in the lower part of gel.

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon

#3 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:36 AM

You may also have some RNA, which would explain the lower smeared bands. This is innocuous except for misleading you in terms of the amount of DNA present, if that was important.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.