• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

male/female ratio

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#31 gebirgsziege

gebirgsziege

I like fungi

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
Excellent

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:50 PM

we have a quite balance M:F ratio at the moment......although some of our males :lol: but really nice to work with these guys....they usually do what they are told to do :P ;)
A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. (Oscar Wilde)

#32 Minnie Mouse

Minnie Mouse

Super Mouse

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Good

Posted 09 April 2009 - 03:48 PM

I have seen all female in a large lab (>8 people), but I never see all male in a large lab.

#33 Doki

Doki

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:34 PM

There is a spy amongst us or someone seriously read this thread

Univ of Tokyo to increase number of female researchers, ban evening meetings
Simple living, highnot thinking

#34 Minnie Mouse

Minnie Mouse

Super Mouse

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Good

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:54 PM

Meeting starts after 5pm in University of Tokyo!! ;) Then, when do their meetings end?...7 - 8pm!! :blink:

I never have lab meeting that starts after 5pm. I have meeting that ends after 5pm.

#35 Doki

Doki

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:25 PM

Meeting starts after 5pm in University of Tokyo!! ;) Then, when do their meetings end?...7 - 8pm!! :blink:

I never have lab meeting that starts after 5pm. I have meeting that ends after 5pm.

Huh! U r not kidding right :) ? @ our lab it starts at around 7:30pm and ends . . depends on the contents and discussion - normally 9:30-10:00 :(

#36 Telomerase

Telomerase

Evil Incarnate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:31 AM

That is the oddest lab custom I've heard of. I mean, nobody pays real attention at the evening meeting. Morning is the right time, like you come, set your experiment, go to meeting and then continue the experiment.
"Beware the power of a PhD student" - scolix

#37 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,318 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:59 AM

Meeting starts after 5pm in University of Tokyo!! :) Then, when do their meetings end?...7 - 8pm!! :blink:

Huh! U r not kidding right :o ? @ our lab it starts at around 7:30pm and ends . . depends on the contents and discussion - normally 9:30-10:00 :(

It all depends on the people: I have seen people that just do their jobs at thats it, they are not inspired by what they do. Others are and they can stay very long just because they are intrigued by something.

in general:

I think discrimination based on gender is wrong, however at the moment I do notice some "positive" discrimination in favor of females when I read certain posts. They are starting to bend the rules so females can do a certain job.
And I am not speaking in specific on labworkers or so, but in general. In the army here , when being a female they almost automaticly accept you, even if you are very very bad. Just to get more females in.

A general rule like no meeting after 17.00 seem stupid to me, they should make more general agreements.
At a lab that I visited the women that are pregnant get to pick (o some degree) when they work as long as they do their hours or they are allowed to work more from home out etc... especially when doing a phd or something like that you have a lot of hours that you spend behind a pc searcing for info or you are helping other students etc... well some of those things are easly done at home.

I think the pregnancy is indeed a big problem like Telomerase allready stated.

I once heard of a firm that made the women "sign" a paper stating they werent allowed to become pregnant the first 5 years when they worked there. (its not legal and its not a "real" document, but some sort of verbal agreement they had to agree with or they would be fired and they would simply find some other reason to kick you out)

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#38 Doki

Doki

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:56 PM

That is the oddest lab custom I've heard of. I mean, nobody pays real attention at the evening meeting. Morning is the right time, like you come, set your experiment, go to meeting and then continue the experiment.

Odd might be; but that's how we enjoy doing it over here. For me, early morning meetings are something I do no want. Beside, there are other meetings in the morning to start the day and plan for the day. The evening meetings which we call the lab meetings are where we have a lot of teaching-learning and discussion. Someone might present their data and others give their view. Someone might present some interesting paper and make a proposal for another project. We also plan of days ahead - long term and short-term. On top of that, we have dinner together during the meeting. Everyone is relaxed after a long day of work in the lab, hospital, or other part-time works.

Meeting starts after 5pm in University of Tokyo!! :lol: Then, when do their meetings end?...7 - 8pm!! :)

Huh! U r not kidding right :o ? @ our lab it starts at around 7:30pm and ends . . depends on the contents and discussion - normally 9:30-10:00 :(

It all depends on the people: I have seen people that just do their jobs at thats it, they are not inspired by what they do. Others are and they can stay very long just because they are intrigued by something.

in general:

I think discrimination based on gender is wrong, however at the moment I do notice some "positive" discrimination in favor of females when I read certain posts. They are starting to bend the rules so females can do a certain job.
And I am not speaking in specific on labworkers or so, but in general. In the army here , when being a female they almost automaticly accept you, even if you are very very bad. Just to get more females in.

A general rule like no meeting after 17.00 seem stupid to me, they should make more general agreements.
At a lab that I visited the women that are pregnant get to pick (o some degree) when they work as long as they do their hours or they are allowed to work more from home out etc... especially when doing a phd or something like that you have a lot of hours that you spend behind a pc searcing for info or you are helping other students etc... well some of those things are easly done at home.

I think the pregnancy is indeed a big problem like Telomerase allready stated.

I once heard of a firm that made the women "sign" a paper stating they werent allowed to become pregnant the first 5 years when they worked there. (its not legal and its not a "real" document, but some sort of verbal agreement they had to agree with or they would be fired and they would simply find some other reason to kick you out)

:)

#39 josse

josse

Student

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:33 AM

My class: me and 1 other guy, other students are all girls: 10 girls in total

Edited by josse, 15 April 2009 - 09:34 AM.

#40 Doki

Doki

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:41 AM

It looks like there are good number of girls in biology. For some reasons they cannot make it to the top, if I got it right.

But, what I was thinking today was. . how many Lady speakers/presenters are there in conferences you attend. I have not attended many but I can remember only a handful. There got to be good reason for that.,

#41 Kami23

Kami23

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:03 AM

I have seen labs with 100% female population and believe me, it can't be good :D
A friend used to say it should be compulsory at least a 3F:1M ratio, otherwise it becomes a extremely twisted working environment.

I agree...it won't be fun if we don't have at least one to torture :)...besides, who's gonna do the lifting jobs... :D

haha the only reason I need a man in the lab is to reach things for me.. (im only 5 foot B))

#42 toejam

toejam

Guitar Hero

• Active Members
  • 159 posts
Good

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:37 AM

But, what I was thinking today was. . how many Lady speakers/presenters are there in conferences you attend. I have not attended many but I can remember only a handful. There got to be good reason for that.,

you're right, there might not be as many women as men presenting (in a general context), but in this conference i went to the presenter said something like, "today we'll count with two researchers who you will know only by mentioning their first name: Vicki (Chandler) and Marjori (Matzke)", i'd say for the quality of their research rather than their gender.
"When there's no more room in hell the dead will walk the Earth"

#43 Minnie Mouse

Minnie Mouse

Super Mouse

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Good

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:24 PM

i'd say for the quality of their research rather than their gender.

Does this mean people often look at gender before looking at the quality of work? :) :ph34r:

If I am Mickey, people would respect me more in research.

I remembered reading from Science or Nature that a researcher converted from female to male, and noticed the difference in people treating her and him.

#44 aimikins

aimikins

Sunflower

• Global Moderators
  • 117 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:37 PM

there's definitely some 'old boy network' going on in research, in my limited experience. there are many women techs and few women PIs. it IS getting better, but it takes a long time.
"it is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" -A.E.

#45 DRT

DRT

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 160 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:53 PM

i'd say for the quality of their research rather than their gender.

Does this mean people often look at gender before looking at the quality of work? :ph34r: :ph34r:

If I am Mickey, people would respect me more in research.

I remembered reading from Science or Nature that a researcher converted from female to male, and noticed the difference in people treating her and him.

Reminds me of something I once read.

(With apologies to Bill Bryson for my misquoting)
Science was able to make great progress in the 20th century because sexism ensured that at least half of its’ best and brightest talent was retained at the ‘lab bench’ where the useful work was done. :)

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.