• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

male/female ratio

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#16 Kami23

Kami23

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:36 AM

Ooooo big call on this one Telomerase

And drop out if the environment is not friendly enough

!! I don't necessarily agree that women are any more sensitive to an unfriendly/uncomfortable work environment than men. In fact, the only people in my department to leave for personality clash reasons have been men (in the last 4 years I've been around anyway).

I meant family friendliness, leelee.
Some institutes are more accustomed or tolerant to young mothers than others.

hehe my group has 7 women and no men... such a peaceful environment to work in :)

#17 Doki

Doki

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

hehe my group has 7 women and no men... such a peaceful environment to work in :D

no control groups for comparison? :rolleyes:
Simple living, highnot thinking

#18 leelee

leelee

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 652 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:28 PM

oh, woops sorry Telomerase :rolleyes:
my bad :D

#19 toejam

toejam

Guitar Hero

• Active Members
  • 159 posts
Good

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:20 AM

hehe my group has 7 women and no men... such a peaceful environment to work in :(

5M:2F
I have seen labs with 100% female population and believe me, it can't be good :)
A friend used to say it should be compulsory at least a 3F:1M ratio, otherwise it becomes a extremely twisted working environment.
"When there's no more room in hell the dead will walk the Earth"

#20 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:36 AM

I have seen labs with 100% female population and believe me, it can't be good :)
A friend used to say it should be compulsory at least a 3F:1M ratio, otherwise it becomes a extremely twisted working environment.

I agree...it won't be fun if we don't have at least one to torture :rolleyes:...besides, who's gonna do the lifting jobs... :D
"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#21 Minnie Mouse

Minnie Mouse

Super Mouse

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Good

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:21 PM

Someone said that a tall strong male has more advantage in applying for a job in a lab than a short weak female, such as minnie. :rolleyes:

#22 toejam

toejam

Guitar Hero

• Active Members
  • 159 posts
Good

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:44 AM

Someone said that a tall strong male has more advantage in applying for a job in a lab than a short weak female, such as minnie. :)

don't worry. that's alright, don't you think it's best for the strong tall guy to do all the the heavy lifting jobs? :)
as it refers to jobs in general most places have strict policies on no discromination on gender, religion, sexual preferences, and others i can't remember right now.

#23 Doki

Doki

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:03 AM

Someone said that a tall strong male has more advantage in applying for a job in a lab than a short weak female, such as minnie. :)

don't worry. that's alright, don't you think it's best for the strong tall guy to do all the the heavy lifting jobs? :)
as it refers to jobs in general most places have strict policies on no discromination on gender, religion, sexual preferences, and others i can't remember right now.

.. . and other disabilities.
Simple living, highnot thinking

#24 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,539 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:26 AM

don't worry. that's alright, don't you think it's best for the strong tall guy to do all the the heavy lifting jobs? :D

.. . and other disabilities.

...such as age.... :)

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#25 toejam

toejam

Guitar Hero

• Active Members
  • 159 posts
Good

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:51 AM

...such as age.... :)

remember aging is mind over matter, if you don't mind then it doesn't matter.

#26 Clare

Clare

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 192 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:34 AM

I agree!! When I first started in this lab it was 7F: 1M. ARG! Women can be such b*&^es!!! The one male was the PI. At least we now have a new post doc who is male :)

Clare

hehe my group has 7 women and no men... such a peaceful environment to work in :)

5M:2F
I have seen labs with 100% female population and believe me, it can't be good :D

#27 toejam

toejam

Guitar Hero

• Active Members
  • 159 posts
Good

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:46 AM

I agree!! When I first started in this lab it was 7F: 1M. ARG! Women can be such b*&^es!!! The one male was the PI. At least we now have a new post doc who is male :)

Clare

those kind of PIs are called alpha males, and they loooove so much being surrounded by women. have seen a couple of those around here...

Posted Image

#28 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,539 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:22 AM

Clare

those kind of PIs are called alpha males, and they loooove so much being surrounded by women. have seen a couple of those around here...

In german we'd say "Hahn im Korb" translated as "cock of the roost" or "rule the roost"

Posted Image

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#29 Clare

Clare

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 192 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:38 AM

hehehe he's actually ok :) He says he has a lab full of women because they have always been the best candidates at the time :)

Clare

#30 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,334 posts
Excellent

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:42 AM

During a visit today I noticed that there were a lot of females at the lab I visitied.

I saw only 4 male workers there and 9 female.

And supringly al the males made critical mistakes while working , the females only 1.

They didnt work aseptically when they had to etc... really strange how they worked there.

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.