• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

male/female ratio

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
Excellent

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:48 AM

Hey all,

how many female/ male co-workers or co-students do you have in your class, company?

In belgium almost all the biochemical, biotechnology and medical biology courses are filled with females.
(50% ratio and sometimes even 65-75% women)
(ex. biotechnology (biochemical) engineering, biotechnology ,and medical biotechnology especially. And specifically for the courses that are research orientated or to become a teacher, the industrial paths seem to attrackt more males.)
In my case: 12 students during the last year of education and 4 male, 8 female.

I wonder if it is in your country too?

Strangely at later stage (work, research and even to get a phd the women seem to be vanished: not a lot of women in research nor education.
(compared with the ratio during university at bachelor master stage)

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#2 Doki

Doki

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:42 AM

9M : 3 F
Simple living, highnot thinking

#3 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,317 posts
Excellent

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:03 AM

at work or at school?

It seems strange but at work there are more men then women (research or production or even teaching) here while at university there are more women in the specific domain.

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#4 swanny

swanny

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 367 posts
Neutral

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:48 AM

Overall, in our institute, the balance is pretty even. On a lab-by-lab basis, however, the bias ranges from 100% female to 80% male (only the PI is female).
Heart disease kills more women than breast cancer, but heart attack symptoms differ from men's symptoms. Get to know your heart... it could save your life.

#5 Minnie Mouse

Minnie Mouse

Super Mouse

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Good

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:56 PM

In medical school, 50% male and 50% female students.

In research Institute, 80% female 20% male.
But in PI level, 80% male and 20% female.

#6 LostintheLab

LostintheLab

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
Neutral

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:50 PM

Our lab has changed ratio's today- 3M: 7F (of which 3 of us are PhD/Postdoc). At the senior level no females are professors in my department, I think I'm the furthest up the chain infact. All the technicians are women in our department and only 3 female PhD students in whole department.... equal rights has a long way to go here I think.
I knew it! I knew it! Well, not in the sense of having the slightest idea, but I knew there was something I didn't know.

#7 Doki

Doki

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:19 PM

at work or at school?

It seems strange but at work there are more men then women (research or production or even teaching) here while at university there are more women in the specific domain.

Sorry. Wrote that in hurry.
(New Data)
1F-Lab Manager and Research Assoc(technician), 1F Research Assoc (tech), 1M Prof (MD-PhD), 4M (MD-PhD), 1F (MD-PhD Student), 6M (MD-PhD student)

#8 Minnie Mouse

Minnie Mouse

Super Mouse

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Good

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:04 PM

at work or at school?

Sorry. Wrote that in hurry.
(New Data)
1F-Lab Manager and Research Assoc(technician), 1F Research Assoc (tech), 1M Prof (MD-PhD), 4M (MD-PhD), 1F (MD-PhD Student), 6M (MD-PhD student)

Are you one of the MD-PhD student?

#9 Doki

Doki

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:33 PM

Are you one of the MD-PhD student?

Bull's eye! :D

#10 pcrman

pcrman

Epigenetist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,165 posts
Excellent

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:36 PM

(50% ratio and sometimes even 65-75% women)

That's realy a high ratio. Probably girls like biology more than boys?

#11 genehunter

genehunter

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 106 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:07 AM

2:1, M:F

#12 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,317 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:52 AM

what do you mean by PI ?

its not private investigator I suppose :)

And

That's realy a high ratio. Probably girls like biology more than boys?

I do not know, its just something I noticed.
There were always a lot of girls in the "medical" orientated courses and even biotechnology, biochemical courses (except the industry orientated ones), but once on the workfloor especially research and teaching they were gone... very strange.

#13 Telomerase

Telomerase

Evil Incarnate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:10 PM

Not strange, they just get pregnant. And drop out if the environment is not friendly enough.
Around 70% PhD students are female in here, and my institute is family-friendly, so three postdocs had a baby lately and one is already back, gradually starting the work. Basically you need the boss who is tolerant of maternal leave and later absences and can balance the team (like, the postdoc mom has responsible students, who will do the experiments while she's not there). Also here, there are science marriages and if she has a baby, he shares responsibilities and takes some mornings or days off, working odd hours.
Family-friendly politics pays off to the boss, I guess - if you lose a valuable employee, you lose a part of knowledge she has.
In the faculty (the bosses), 17 F, 14 M.

Edited by Telomerase, 01 April 2009 - 01:15 PM.

"Beware the power of a PhD student" - scolix

#14 leelee

leelee

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 652 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:31 AM

Ooooo big call on this one Telomerase

And drop out if the environment is not friendly enough

!! I don't necessarily agree that women are any more sensitive to an unfriendly/uncomfortable work environment than men. In fact, the only people in my department to leave for personality clash reasons have been men (in the last 4 years I've been around anyway).

But I whole-heartedly agree that the reason that there are less women higher up in science is due to the baby factor. Luckily in Aus (and particularly at my uni) there is a big focus on keeping women in the work force, so many employers have maternity leave, back-to-work bonuses, child care facilities etc etc

In my lab, we have 3 men (all PIs, one is also Professor), and 4 women (3 PhD students, 1 PI).
In my department, I would say it is about 60% men in the upper levels (lab heads, lecturers, PIs, Professors), post-docs are 50:50, PhD students are 80% female.........and in undergrad classes, I'd say roughly even, but with yearly fluctuations.......

Oh, and I work in a Microbiology and Immunology department

#15 Telomerase

Telomerase

Evil Incarnate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:38 AM

Ooooo big call on this one Telomerase

And drop out if the environment is not friendly enough

!! I don't necessarily agree that women are any more sensitive to an unfriendly/uncomfortable work environment than men. In fact, the only people in my department to leave for personality clash reasons have been men (in the last 4 years I've been around anyway).

I meant family friendliness, leelee.
Some institutes are more accustomed or tolerant to young mothers than others.
"Beware the power of a PhD student" - scolix

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.