• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Liquid and solid autoclave

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#16 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
Excellent

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:40 AM

In my former department, we placed our wet autoclaved tip boxes into a heated drying cabinet. It took a while but the boxes come out dry the next morning

I know, we have that system too, but it is costly.
If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some then not ask and stay stupid.

#17 HeatherH

HeatherH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:34 PM

On a similar note, my DEPC-H2O protocol requires a sterilization time of 15min per 1L of water. Why is the increase in sterilization time necessary?

#18 nicolas

nicolas

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 April 2010 - 01:03 PM

Just a general notice:

Why are you autoclaving tips? To clean them?

In my lab, like thousand other labs, we have only one autoclave used for tips and cell garbages. Sometime it happen that bags containing garbages open, and then everything in the autoclave is contaminated. And I am wonder for next cycles too.

Personal opinion, I prefer close safely tips bags and don' t autoclave tips.

#19 kiikyo

kiikyo

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:08 AM

You can autoclave them together.

Our lab has a very old autoclave, similar to yours, which only has an on/off switch and timer setting. We use 20min for solids only and 25min for liquids (or solids + liquids).

Tips must be sterile when working with bacteria, for example, which is why they are autoclaved -- to avoid any potential contamination.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.