• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Opposite of 'deficient'

23 replies to this topic

#16 Astilius

Astilius

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:46 AM

"bearing" or "expressing".
You could go for "wild type" but it probably will make your language clunky.
To the last, I grapple with thee; from Hell's heart, I stab at thee; for hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee.

#17 HomeBrew

HomeBrew

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
Good

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:09 PM

If the rats naturally have no XY gene, they are not deficient. "Deficient", to me anyhow, means "lacking, inadequate in amount or degree" of something that would otherwise be expected to be there in sufficient quantity. If the rats do not have the gene, they are not lacking anything.

I would go with "negative" rather than "deficient", or I would label my figure "mouse" and "rat" and explain in the legend.

#18 Doki

Doki

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:46 PM

If the rats naturally have no XY gene, they are not deficient. "Deficient", to me anyhow, means "lacking, inadequate in amount or degree" of something that would otherwise be expected to be there in sufficient quantity. If the rats do not have the gene, they are not lacking anything.

I would go with "negative" rather than "deficient", or I would label my figure "mouse" and "rat" and explain in the legend.

Yeah, that is also true. Better will be just use 'positive' and 'negative' then.
Simple living, highnot thinking

#19 GeorgeWolff

GeorgeWolff

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 294 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:09 PM

the term is "replete"

#20 Doki

Doki

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:17 PM

Thanx GW.

I was not aware of this term. I looked for the meaning :

re•plete /r{I}'pli:t/ adj.
1 [not before noun] ~ (with sth) (formal) filled with sth; with a full supply of sth: literature replete with drama and excitement
2 (old-fashioned or formal) very full of food: We all felt pleasantly replete.

and googled google scholar to see what I can find.

The ones I came across were mainly regarding 'salt', 'minerals', or 'cells'. As for example

- Effects of phosphorus/calcium-restricted and phosphorus/calcium-replete 32% prot
- … of channel catfish (Ictaluris punctatus) fed iron-deficient and replete diet
- 1 alpha-and 24-hydroxylases from vitamin D-replete
- g unrelated donors and T-replete or-depleted grafts:

But, did not find anything regarding antigen/receptors/genes.

Replete is, as I can see now, the exact opposite of 'deficient' but can it be used with antigen/receptors/genes. As for example, opposite of Rag2-deficient mice means mice not having the gene.

Will be waiting for ur reply. Please provide an example of use also if it is not much trouble. I will be hunting for some too. Thanx

#21 HomeBrew

HomeBrew

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 930 posts
Good

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:56 AM

Your problem arises because you're trying to find the opposite of XY-deficient. But, as I pointed out above (see here), you shouldn't be using XY-deficient when referring to the rats, because "deficient" is not the correct term to describe their state.

When I get myself into such a terminology jam, I find it best to just re-write the section over again, rather than try and bend some term to fit.

#22 Doki

Doki

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:32 PM

Thx HomeBrew. I just put XY+ and XY- in the picture and explained in the text.

#23 GeorgeWolff

GeorgeWolff

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 294 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:29 PM

[Homebrew's comments are more relevant to your situation but- to the extent that deficient is correct - replete coreeclty describes its opposite whatever the application.

#24 Mohamed 1984

Mohamed 1984

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:26 AM

with/ null

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.